Day 10

Dear Journal,

Starting from where I closed yesterday, I witness a crash – not just a crash but a plane plummeting with me in it. I envision it all like I am there, the deafening sirens wailing, the desperate screams for 'help', the ground drawing in closer just like the inevitable death, heart stops, we are about to hit then my eyes fly ajar. It is midnight three and I am shivering, heartbeat racing like crazy. I just had the worst nightmare since I've been here. The room is icy cold and I can't adjust the temperature. I think when you are miles away from your parents for the first time in your life and you want them to know how much you love them, you are afraid to die without letting them know enough. This must just be me being paranoid. This could just be a reaction to feeling homesick. I go wash my face fiercely, take another blanket and go back to bed thinking "told you I will have a terrible time sleeping".

Yet I manage to pull off to a good start! Salma and I go browsing through shops and have hot delectable kebab from the Time's square street in the morning; it is like buying fuchka from Bangladesh street stalls and having it right then and there. Such thrill involved! The best part is witnessing Salma on the verge of crying (she never cries) when we realize we ended up in 36th street 5th avenue (basically out of the map) when bus boarding is on 34th street 2nd avenue! Also, if you miss bus boarding, you are left behind. So, I calm her down, promise to find the way back for us and begin navigating. Of Course, eventually, we get to bus boarding safely on time. On my way, I hang out a little with Rohaan, a very interesting guy from the group I travelled with. I've recently started to exchange frequent text messages with him. Half the time I see this guy, he has got Mr. Monkey (a muffler with a squishy monkey-doll-face on top) sitting on his shoulder-blade. I stay 'keyed up' for the Broadway Show the entire afternoon only to realize that we were out for the Matilda musical, definitely blowing the fuse in my electrified heart right away! What? All this time, I've been so wound up for some kid's show? This is absurd.

Crestfallen with all spirit washed away, I phase myself into the Shubert Theatre. All is well, my friends and I have collected our tickets and on our way to find seats – the right time found for call of nature (Seriously).

Anyway, I should take back what I said earlier about the show. Watching it changes my mind. The blinding laser lights, the stage, the cast, Mrs. Wormwood and the Principal's performances, AMAZING! TOO AMAZING!! I keep wishing I can record the whole thing but of course that is illicit.

It would be more amazing if my parents and my sisters (the jokers as I call them) would get to watch with me. Hell No, I'm beginning to miss them again. Not helping! What if I never see them again? And sleeping a second night in this dorm? Damn it! I've already had bad feelings about plane crash on my way back to KSA and now the dream last night seemed to have sealed my fate! I can't afford to have another nightmare.

Love Always

Huda

�ؚm�Di