Chapter 14

~Chapter 14~

"I can't believe that we have to do this." Christian groans as he stacks another book on the shelf.

Ace just laughs at him and passes him another one. "It goes there." He points to where to put it.

Christian groans, "See, this is easy for you, you work in a library, this is the first time I've ever been in one."

"How do you even pass without getting any books?"

"How everyone does these days; the internet."

They fall into a silence and Ace can feel the glare on his back from Dillon as he hands Christian yet another book and tells him where to put it.

"Alright boys, you're free to go have some lunch now. Thank you for the help." The lady at the counter says, stamping a book.

"It's not like we had a choice." Dillon growls under his voice but nobody other than Ace hears it.

When they're away from Dillon and walking around the side of the building Christian stops in his tracks and pulls Ace to him in a tight hug.

"What's this for?" Ace asks.

"Just because I really need one at the minute." He explains,

Without another word they pull away and make their way to the bench where Jet is sitting. "What took you guys so long?" He asks.

Christian groans, "Dillon kept arguing with the lady and so she kept us in longer until he finally shut up."

Jet laughs and shares a look with Ace but he quickly looks down, ignoring the feeling that consumes his body.

~~~

Ace woke the next day to find that his wings had come out during the night while he was asleep. He tried everything he could to get them to go back into his back but no matter how much he tried they refused to go back.

After 10 minutes of trying they finally went back but then Ace sneezed and they came flying out again, breaking the lamp on his bed side table. He cursed under his breath and moved into the bathroom; hoping that a hot shower would help his wings go back.

He stood in there for longer than he should trying desperately for his wings to retract. When he finally got out they were away again. He got dressed ready for school but as he left the room he sneezed again and a ripping sound echoed all through the room.

"Oh come on!" He yelled, punching the wall beside his head. The plaster broke off and a powder littered the air.

"Ace? Is everything okay?" A voice called from downstairs.

He cursed under his breath; he had forgotten that Harley had offered to have breakfast together. "Yeah I'm fine, just getting ready."

Footsteps began to climb up the stairs and Ace quickly turned around and went back into the bathroom. He closed and locked the door behind him.

He ran an angry hand down his face as he tried to get his shirt off but couldn't with the wings sticking through the back. He tried everything he could to get them back in but it had taken all of his energy doing it the last two times.

Finally the anger took over and he found himself ripping the shirt from his body and throwing it onto the floor. When the anger drained from him he slid to the ground and sat on the floor, suddenly becoming too tired to stand.

Harley was just outside the bathroom door. "Ace? Are you still in there?"

"Yeah, I'm here." He called back to him, trying to get off the ground, but blackness took over his eyes, "What's happening to me?" He whispered to himself.

Five minutes later there was a knock at the door, "Are you okay?"

Ace tries to reply but finds that he can no longer talk.

"Unlock the door Ace, or I'm going to break it down." Harley says, but the words no longer make sense to Ace, they swim around in his mind but aren't able to click together.

The blackness engulfs him.

~~~

There's something heavy on him but it feels soft.

Someone is talking quietly in the corner but he can't pick up the words. Ace forces his heavy eyelids to open and he's faced with a familiar room.

"-aking up, I'll call you back later." The voice says.

Suddenly Harley is in front of him. "Can you hear me?" He asks.

Ace nods slightly, the movement causing pain through his body. "What's happening?"

"I found you passed out in the bathroom, luckily it was me that was here and not Christian or Jet, they'd have a few questions to ask."

The meaning behind that clicks in Ace's mind after a few moments and he sits up to face him. "You know what I am?!"

Harley smiles, "Of course I know what you are, I could feel it the first time we met, you don't exactly hide it. Well, you don't exactly hide it from other angels. Humans are different, they wouldn't know what you were even if you screamed it to them."

"Wait, you're one too?" He stares at Harley with wide eyes, not fully believing what he's hearing.

He laughs, "You couldn't tell?"

Ace doesn't even know what to say. Figuring there was only one way to fully get Ace to believe him Harley pulls the shirt over his head and moves into the open space of the room.

Grey wings spread out across the room as they slowly form at his back. Ace still can't believe what he's seeing but finally it sets in his mind and he believes it.

Ace can only find one thing to say, "Yours are grey too."

Harley looks at him like he said something stupid, "What, no they're not. They're wh-." He cuts himself off when he catches himself in the bathroom mirror. "No, this can't be happening! I haven't done anything wrong."

"What are you talking about?" Ace questions, "What's wrong with them being grey?"

He puts his wings back quickly, "You don't understand do you?! Grey wings mean that your soul is beginning to become tainted, you're no longer the servants of heaven; you're becoming the demons from hell."

Ace stares at him, not fully understanding what he's saying.

"I can't help you, stay away from me."

And just like that Harley is gone from the room and from the house. Ace sits there in silence, wondering what he had done.

It's then that Ace sneezes and sees as his wings reflect in the mirror he sees the dark grey feathers, suddenly hating the look of them.