Chapter 13

~Chapter 13~

Christian was right on 7 when he turned up at Ace's house in his car. He got out and opened the door for Ace when he moved towards the passenger's side.

"Where are we going?" Ace asked Christian as he got into the driver's seat.

"We're going to a nice restaurant a few towns over that just opened up, it's only an hour drive so don't worry." He gives Ace a reassuring smile before they begin their journey.

~~~

"I'll be right back with your meals." The waiter says before leaving through a black door with a rounded window in it.

Ace looks around and thinks that the last time he was at a place this nice was with his 'parents'. There's a dark red carpet on the floor, black walls with golden flowers and light bulbs hanging from the ceiling everywhere. A redwood bar sits at the side with a stage beside it. The walls seem to be bigger with wide windows at some points in the room and speakers in the corners playing soft songs.

"How expensive is this place?" Ace asks, worried that it's going to cost him a fortune that he doesn't have.

"Relax; I'm the one that asked you out, meaning that I'm going to pay for you tonight." He says with a bright smile, showing his perfectly straight teeth.

While Christian is busy looking at the drink section of the menu Ace uses that time to give him a once over.

He's dressed in a white button down shirt and black jeans. When Ace looks back up he notices that Christian is looking at him and he's instantly drawn into his ocean blue eyes. Christian raises an eyebrow in question.

"You just look really nice tonight that's all." Ace says before he even realises he's saying it.

He feels his cheeks burn up and quickly puts his menu in front of his face. Suddenly it's being pulled down and he's faced with his baby blues again.

"You look really nice too." He says and Ace finds himself unwillingly falling for him.

The meals finally come and they are faced with a comfortable silence as they eat.

"Ace? Christian?" A familiar voice asks from behind him. "What are you two doing here?"

Ace watches as Christian seems to shrink on himself a little and avoids Ace's eyes, "The principal suggested that we get to know each other a little more after we all got into an argument."

He raises an eyebrow as Ace looks at Christian in disbelief about lying, "Where's Dillion then?"

Christian swallows and Ace can see clearly that he's trying to come up with a reason, "He obviously didn't want to be around us so he never turned up, why are you here?" Ace says, saving Christian from his lie.

Jet wrinkles his nose and nods his head towards a bigger table in the other corner of the room, "Dad had a conference thing on and I have to tag along for a school project." Just then his dad waves him over, "Well have fun, I'll see you both at school tomorrow."

Then he's gone without another word and Christian visibly relaxes, "Why didn't you tell him the truth?" Ace asks and Christian shakes his head. "He doesn't know you're gay does he?"

"Shh." Christian says, looking around to make sure no one heard. "No, no one knows that I am and I intend to keep it that way."

Something about it doesn't sit right with Ace but he knows that it's Christian's choice and that one day he will come out, when he's ready.

"You're not going to tell him?" Christian asks, shocked.

"Why would I do that? It's your choice whether you tell people or not." He says as he takes another bite of the meal.

~~~

After what feels like only a matter of minutes the dinner is over and they're nearly back in town. Christian pulls up at Ace's house and gets the door for him before walking him to his house.

Once they reach the front door they pause, both of them trying to think of a way to end the night.

"I really had fun tonight," Ace says, finally breaking the silence, "It was nice to get out of town for a while."

"Yeah I know the feeling."

Once again they fall into a silence before Christian finally breaks it, "I know this is sudden and everything but I can't help the feeling I get when I'm around you. I've never felt it with anyone else before and I like you, like a lot..." He pauses and lowers his head, "Sorry I'm ranting because I'm nervous. Basically what I want to know is if you'll go out with me?"

Ace knows what he's getting himself into but somehow he finds himself saying yes.

~~~

It greets him while he sleeps soundly in his bed. It doesn't have a solid form but it is still there. In the corner where the light of the moon cannot touch. It's under the bed where there is never any light.

It can move but it does not have any feet. It touches Ace even though it has no hands.

The darkness is everywhere around him, whispering in his ear, telling him to do things he normally wouldn't do. They're toxic words, poisoning his once pure heart and mind.

Ace wakes with a shiver running over his body down to his feet. The clock across the room flashes '5:26'.

As he lays there in the dark he can feel something watching him but shakes it off when he doesn't see anything.

He spends another 10 minutes trying to fall back asleep but finds that he can't with the feeling that someone's watching him. So giving up on the idea he finally gets up and has a shower. Once he's out he gets dressed but doesn't put a shirt on.

Ace walks outside and climbs up onto the roof. Once he's up there he spreads his wings out and feels a tightness that was in his body vanish. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. Birds nesting sing a little tune to the moon sinking beyond the trees.

He begins to run, loving the feel of the wind catching under his wings and lifting him slightly off the tiles. Before long there's no roof under his feet and he's above the trees, the wind drying out his wet hair.

Ace goes as high as he dares, until his house in nothing more than an ant beneath him. He weaves around clouds and races with the birds.

He goes to the mountain that overlooks the town and sits on a ledge that no one else could get to. The world is quiet up there, no birds sing, no children laugh. There is nothing but Ace on the edge of the world and the sun rising over the town, casting long shadows along the earth.

Ace stays there until long after the sun is up. Figuring it's time to go he spreads his wings out again and feels his stomach drop when he sees that they're a darker grey then they were the other day.

"It's only a colour; it doesn't mean anything." He says to himself before jumping off the cliff.