Chapter 3

~Chapter 3~

Taking a deep breath he gains his courage and takes a step down into the everlasting darkness, clutching his phone tightly in his hands. For the whole day he'd been considering going down into the basement but each time he looked down the wooden steps his courage would break and he'd find himself back where he started. This time was different however.

Step down, breathe. Step down, breathe. Step down. Breathe. That pattern went on and on until he'd reached the bottom of the stairs, he looked up at where he came from. He turned back around, the phone torch being his only light. Sterling was both surprised and relieved to find it just like any other ordinary basement. The only difference was the smell.

All the other basements he'd been in smelt of wet dirt and mould, this one, however, smelt like nothing he'd ever smelt before. It was as though every bad odour in the universe had been combined, and no matter how hard he tried to block his nose, no matter how long he held his breath he could smell the foul stench better than ever.

He considered turning around and never going back down there but just as he thought that the light from his phone passed by a mirror causing his attention to go there. Automatically he found himself moving towards it as if he were on auto pilot.

Sterling took one last look around him before looking back into the mirror. He expected to see the old boring him, but instead he found a complete stranger looking at him. He placed a hand to his cheek just to make sure it really was him, when the mirrors reflection followed his movement he took in a sharp intake of breath.

Somehow overnight his pale deathly skin had turned into a glowing natural tan; he had become bigger with muscle, a six pack lining his torso, rosy red cheeks and plump lips. His eyes held an electrifying spark and his hair had thinned out and looked like it was floating around his head as if he were in water. He smiled a toothy grin and a set of straight white teeth glowed back. Small dimples appeared on his cheeks just to finish it all off.

Sterling didn't know what to think. Should he be scared or glad? His phone flashed several times before glitching and shutting down.

The room was covered in a thick coat of blackness. "Help me." A familiar voice whispered in the dark, cold breath running down his neck causing his hairs to stand on end. Without meaning to he shivered.

All day he'd spent trying to forget that horrible nightmare, but every once in a while the same voice would ring through his mind, the dread of it would wash over him again.

It also didn't help that whenever he passed the dark stain on the wall he'd remember the man's voice speaking to them. The last word he had said was 'Angeli.' It rang through Sterling's mind on repeat but he couldn't figure out what it meant. He'd come up with the plan to go to the library later that day and figure it out once and for all.

Panic erupted through his body and the girl's voice. "I need your help." She said.

Sterling but his bottom lip lightly and blindly shuffled his feet over the uneven floor. It took him a few tries before he finally tripped over the stairs and climbed over into the light, the feeling of being followed weighed him down. He slammed the door shut behind him and it disappeared.

For 10 minutes he stayed slumped over in front of the door. Finally he was able to pick himself up on his shaky leg. He ran back into what would now be his bedroom and threw on a top that had been stuffed hurriedly into his bag. This time he took his time and slowly walked to the front door.

He passed a closed door and froze, he'd been in there last night but he'd only glanced at it quick enough to confirm it was in fact a bedroom. Not wasting a minute he clutched the cold doorknob in hand and pushed it open.