Chapter 2

~Chapter 2~

For hours Sterling drove without a stop. He couldn't bring himself to stop because he knew if he did he'd change his mind and return home.

It was close to midnight and the full moon was at its highest, shining shimmering silver light on the road in front of him. 7 hours and not once has he thought about eating until he was passing through a small peaceful town diner, the lights inside burning bright.

With nothing on his mind now but food he parked the car in the near empty parking lot and walked inside, his muscles aching from the cramped journey. Sterling took a seat in a back booth, the light overhead flickering slightly. It didn't occur to him that it started as soon as he sat down.

A lady in her late 40's walked over to him with light graceful steps. The open door blowing her blonde hair to the side. She flicked it out of her eyes and addressed Sterling with a warm smile. Lucy was her name, even said so on a badge pinned over her chest. She had lived in this town her whole life and worked at this same diner for most of it. She knew everyone that came and went but she had never seen this boy.

"Hi darling, what would you like to order?" Lucy asked, pen and pad ready in hand.

He looked up to meet her blue eyes, "I'd like a hamburger please." Ge said in an angelic voice, like he was singing a song rather than ordering food. Lucy was momentarily dazed.

Sterling shifted his eyes down to the yellow table top and that seemed to fling her back to reality like a rubber band. She blinked and cleared her throat. "One burger, anything to drink?"

"A coke would be nice." He said simply, no eye contact included.

Lucy left for the kitchen confused, she didn't know what to think of the feeling that swallowed her body whole when she met Sterling's eyes.

There had been many people that passed through this town over the past 20 years of different shapes, sizes and looks but not one of them have ever had eyes as vibrant as his, or as... purple. She didn't even know purple eyes existed. 'They have to be contacts.' She thought to herself.

Sterling sat at the booth watching her walk away. It was weird the way she had been looking at him, like she would do anything he asked her to do in that moment. Kill someone? She's happily do it without a second thought.

She returned shortly after with a hamburger and coke in hand. He didn't look up to meet her gaze as the meal was placed on the table in front of him. Lucy walked away slowly hoping that he would meet her eyes but he didn't and she couldn't understand the disappointment that flushed through her.

When she wasn't looking at him anymore he began to eat the food. It tasted better than anything he'd ever eaten, the strong flavours tingled his tastebuds. He took a sip of coke every once in a while and before long everything was gone. He closed his eyes in satisfaction and leaned his head back. He'd need somewhere to sleep eventually but he didn't want to waste his precious money on a hotel, he needed the money for food more than anything and there was no way he was sleeping out on the streets.

The diner bell rang but he pays it no attention, his thoughts somewhere else. However his eyes snapped open when he hears someone's voice rise. He looked around for the source and found two men sitting at the bar. He could smell the alcohol on them from here.

Lucy stood in front of them with her pen and paper in hand, scribbling down their orders. Even from across the room Sterling could see her hands shaking like she was cold but he knew different, he felt it so many times before. The thought of leaving crossed his mind momentarily but he couldn't bring himself to do it, the thought of leaving Lucy alone with them made him feel sick. How much he would have gave to have someone look out for him.