The Game of Life - Part Two

It's 4pm and Tyler is sitting on the carpark floor next to Matthew. Matthew is sobbing, his head on his knees, soccer ball rolling away. Tyler has an arm around Matthew, eyes closed, head back, tear tracks running down his face. There are two types of sad. Tyler's silent weeping, desperately trying to stay strong and Matthew's sobbing, the fall from happiness only moments before too much to take. One more call. Beep.

     It's 4:10pm and the hospital waiting room is a mess. Abigail is sitting in the corner, watching the door with worried eyes. Stella is sitting curled up, eyes determinedly staring at her phone as if she could block out the world. Lily Grace is talking hurriedly to the receptionist with Jessy by her side. Halley is the only one to notice Matthew standing at the door, shocked. She takes one hand, Hunter takes the other and they pull him to the corner they've claimed as their own. Stella passes Matthew a tissue and gives him a one armed hug but he pulls away. Hunter gets Matthew a cup of water and a chocolate bar.

"She's our best friend and you have to tell us what's wrong or I swear to god, I will f**king break in!" Lily Grace comes over, tearstained and defeated, "I tried," she whispers. She sits opposite Tyler and Jessy curls up into her side. For a moment, they are sitting, lost.

"We won the game you know."

"We knew you would," Stella says, glancing up for a moment. She looks around the room before shuddering and looking back down at her phone.

"All three games," Matthew whispers. His voice is hollow, "just like Alexis said. Just like Lexi said."

"Matthew, it'll be okay, Lexi has such a stubborn streak, I bet you anything she'll be ready to leave in, like, ten minutes. She's always been lucky," Jessy says quietly.

"Alexis knew we would win. She said we would. Lexi said luck is for losers. Does that makes us losers?"

"You called her Lexi. Might as well call the news while we're at it, you loser," a voice said.

"Hey Louis," Hunter says.

Louis nods. He's no longer wearing the muddy soccer shirt and has a backpack slung over his right shoulder. He tosses the bag at Matthew, "Clean clothes, you loser."

     It's 4:30pm and Matthew is sneaking through the locked doors of the ICU. He turns and gives Abigail a thumbs up. Her words are ringing in his head as the doors close behind him.

"If we get arrested, it's your fault."

He wipes his eyes and enters the first room. The room with "Alexis Lacey" written on the card.

He sees her and he almost wants to turn around and leave. He blinks back the tears. Takes a deep breath.

Matthew is scared. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, he's scared. He knows what's happened. There's a steady beep beep in the corner. He knows that there was a time when that beep was no more and everything was a mixture of confusion, defibrillators, shouts of "clear," and disorder. 

A/N: To be continued... I hope you guys enjoyed reading it!