The Game of Life - Part One

It's 9am and Matthew is on a bus, laughing with Louis at the back, knowing that in a few hours, he would be back, hopefully jumping with a victory. The soccer ball is passed between them and a few others on the bus. Daniel sits at the front, headphones in as he scrolls through his phone.

Matthew's phone buzzes.

Alexis – Hey Matthew, I know you'll win for sure so no need to say "good luck," besides, luck is for losers, so have fun today! See you at the bus stop, love you xx

Louis is nudging him, raising his eyebrows and cat calls are echoing through the bus. Matthew laughs and switches off his phone because right now, the only thing that matters is the game and this moment.

     It's 9am and Lexi is walking out the school gates, backpack slung over one shoulder. She sends two texts. One to Matthew and one to her brother. She wishes Matthew luck on his soccer game and tells Noah to inform the school she wouldn't be coming today. She's got a headache and Stella's paracetamol wasn't helping. Lyra's home, sick, so she might as well join her.

Alexis' phone buzzes.

Halley – Hey Lexi, heard you weren't feeling well! I hope you feel better soon! Kisses, Halley xx

Lexi sits down on the curb and takes a drink of water. She turns off her phone because right now, nothing matters and her head is pounding.

     It's 10am and the game is in full play. Matthew's sweaty and he's running fast, kicking and passing to Louis like they have a telepathic link. Stella's in Maths, her head in her hands, trying to ignore the boy doodling ballet shoes next to her as she listens to the teacher drone. Halley's at Science, filling in questions half-heartedly whilst Jessy flicks through her phone. Lily Grace's in English, empty seats on either side of her as she types away, barely looking up.

It's 10:30am and there's a squeal of brakes and a loud yell. There's an ambulance and the words "emergency," is flying through the air. A single message is sent.

Alexis – This is the Emergency Services. Your friend, Alexis Lacey, is being taken to the nearest hospital after an accident. You are receiving this message because you are her emergency contact. Please inform the necessary people. We wish you all the best and a safe journey.

     It's 11am and Jessy is dragging Halley out of Science. Hunter is waiting outside the classroom, a worried frown on his face as he absentmindedly takes Halley's hand. Stella appears, dragging Abigail, both worried. Lily Grace runs up, talking on her phone and tossing the car keys to Halley. Matthew is the last thing on their minds.

It's 3pm and Matthew has never felt happier. They've won all three games and even though his legs are weak, his jaw is sore from grinning, all he wants to do is see Alexis, to share his news, his excitement. He races Louis to the bus stop where they announce their win for all the school to hear.

It's 3:15pm and Lexi is nowhere to be seen. He switches on his phone and then the messages start coming in.

Alexis – Hey Matthew, I know you'll win for sure so no need to say "good luck," besides, luck is for Losers, so have fun today! See you at the bus stop, Love you xx

Stella – There has been an accident. Call me ASAP

Stella – Matthew, this is important.

Stella – Call me ASAP. Please.

Halley – I'm so sorry Matthew.

Tyler – I can't believe this happened. I won't talk about it more since I'm assuming you already know what happened. Are you okay? Please don't do something stupid...

Tyler – Want a lift? Meet me at 3:20pm, school gates.

     It's 3:20pm and Matthew is sitting in Tyler's car. Stella's phone has gone straight to voicemail and he knows there's no use in calling Lexi but he does so anyways. He just needs to hear her voice.

"Hey, it's Lexi and you know what? If you are hearing this message, it probably means you're too annoying and you need to rethink your life choices. Or I'm just really bu- MATTHEW. GIVE THE COOKIES BACK OR ELSE I WILL KICK YOUR BALLS SO FAR UP YOUR THROAT YOU'LL BE TASTING NUTS FOR WEEKS –sy and can't take the call. Either way, leave a message which I will probably not listen to, so if it's important, call again! Beep."

Matthew hangs up without leaving a message. His finger is hovering over the call button again. Tyler turns the radio off, a failed attempt in livening up the trip. At the stop in the music, Matthew looks up. He's been staring out the window the whole trip. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt.

"How?" he whispers.

Tyler glances over, "What?"

Matthew shakes his head, staring out the window. He's shaking, and his thoughts are whirring. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt.

Tyler is talking, well at least Matthew thinks he is. He hears the word "accident," and wants to throw something. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt. Lexi is hurt.

Matthew presses 'call' again. He hears Lexi's message and holds back a sob.

It's 3:30pm and Lexi's eyes are closing. Her chances were slim but she wasn't going to let that stop her. It was death or escape and she wasn't ready to die. There are frantic yells, orders and bated breath as a single form is signed. 

A/N: To be continued! I hope you guys like it! I had lots of fun writing this!  Leave some feedback below pleaseeeeee! :)