Chapter 19

The trip to Elsinore was much longer than their walk to Ephesus had been from Arden. They passed the occasional abandoned home in the hollow of a tree, but they didn't encounter any of the People of the Woods.

"It's kinda creepy up here," Kanti said when they rested beside a tree with blooming pink flowers. "I thought there would be more people traveling these paths."

"The People of the Woods are gathering in the cities to discuss their tactics for the upcoming battle," Gideon said. "The Fractus have decimated their population before, searching for magical objects of legend, powerful weapons, and charms."

"The Fractus managed to invade the cities in the trees?" Valerie asked, her mind reeling. The People of the Woods seemed apart from the rest of the world, like the Conjurors hidden below the ground in Plymouth.

Chrome sent Valerie an image of Fractus chopping down trees and using a strange rope to climb up to Arbor Aurum. Chrome and his partner Jet had fought for the People of the Woods in that battle, leaping onto attackers and sending them falling to the ground. She winced at the overlay of satisfaction that Chrome sent at ending his enemies' lives.

"The last time the Fractus infiltrated the cities in the trees, it was because a Conjuror trusted by the People of the Woods betrayed them. Since then, the People have been more distrustful of the Conjurors on the ground than ever," Gideon said, lowering his eyes. "I was fortunate that they allowed me to stay in Arbor Aurum, since I was adopted."

"Surely they wouldn't throw out a child," Valerie said, unable to imagine Elden allowing something like that.

"It wasn't officially sanctioned, but those harboring Conjurors were often driven from the safety of the trees. And those who remained were outcasts. Even me," Gideon said, his voice devoid of emotion. He stood up and the others followed, continuing their long walk toward Elsinore.

Chrome sent a vision to Valerie of Gideon arriving at the Guild of the Knights of Light, still a young, scrawny boy who was very intimidated by the world around him. Valerie stole a glance at her mentor, realizing for the first time that he understood what it was to be an outcast, like she had been on Earth. No wonder he'd chosen to leave Arbor Aurum behind to find a place where he could belong.

"It sounds a little like Elsinore, with so much importance put on being in the right family and coming from good blood," Kanti said, her eyebrows furrowed. "That and having a strong power is all that matters."

"With Elden at the helm, things have gotten much better with the People of the Woods," Gideon said with a return of his usual equilibrium. "Perhaps those in Elsinore will see there is a better path as well."

Kanti chewed her lip. "I hope you're right."

"Kanti, do you know where Calibro lives?" Valerie asked her friend. "I didn't think to get directions from Skye."

Kanti nodded. "I've never met her, but everyone knows about her. She's famous in Elsinore. Her parents were from a prominent family, and they both died when she was really little. Everyone was horrified when Calibro moved to Arden when she was eight, but as she quickly rose in the ranks in the Justice Guild, everyone was impressed, since they figured it meant she probably had a lot of magic in her blood."

"She's definitely smart," Valerie said. "But I don't know if that has anything to do with magic. Even on Earth, there are kids who are prodigies and excel at a particular talent. Calibro's seems to be logic."

"She almost never returns to Elsinore, which I totally understand," Kanti said with a snort. "So how she's going to escape attracting attention coming with a crowd of Grand Masters, I can't begin to imagine."