Chapter 12

The Day before

Scott POV
Our mission is almost complete. Mitch comes walking in with the mail, kisses my cheek, and hands it to me. Kevin is out at the store. He stares at me, while I'm staring into space.
"Scottie, what are you thinking about?"
"Oh, nothing. I just think that Kirstie and Avi are going to be fine."
"Scotland, that isn't the only thing you're thinking about though."
"Ok you got me. I'm thinking about you and me. About how we got to where we are. I'm thinking about how it would've been if we didn't have this assignment. Would we have gotten together?"
Mitch thinks for a minute. "I don't know. I mean it's something to think about. If I hadn't met Kirstie, Who knows what would've happened. I think this assignment means more to us than we ever thought possible. I don't want to leave her especially now that she's pregnant."
I look at him wide-eyed, "Wait, when did this happen and why didn't she tell me?"
"I don't know why she didn't tell you, but I'm sure she was planning on telling you eventually."
I smile. "I'm so happy for them." He smiles at me, and then starts to go into the bedroom.
Mitch and I haven't had much time together. I've been getting things straightened out with the office. I want to spend more time with him. So I come up with an idea. "Hey babe? What are you doing tonight?"
Mitch turns around, "Nothing, why?"
"Get ready. We're going out."

After a few hours, Mitch and I are ready to go out. I went ahead and made a reservation at our favorite restaurant, The Tower Bar.

Kevin POV
I decided to go to the park and there I see some kids playing in the jungle gym. Seeing this, it makes me think of Avi and how he's finally going to be a dad. I don't want to leave my best friend. I let out a sigh. But I have too, I love my job. This is all so confusing. Scott Mitch and I have been doing this together for years and have never broken the main rule, do not get attached. Yet here I am with a best friend that is not only human but part of my mission.

After sitting at the park for a few more minutes I decide to head to the store. While walking I notice a girl fixing to drop an arm full of book. I quickly run over and grab the ones that are falling. "Thank you so much." She says. She looks up at me and I see the most beautiful eyes. "It was no problem. I'm Kevin." She smiles. "Alyssa." "Do you need help getting these books somewhere?" I ask. She nods. "If it's not too much trouble. I'm just taking them to my book store. It's only a block away." "Ok, lead the way." She starts to walk and a few minutes later we head inside a cute little bookshop/ café. "Thank you so much Kevin. Can I offer you a coffee as a thank you?" I smile. "Only if you'll have one with me." "Deal." She heads behind a counter and comes back a few minutes later with coffee. We sit in one of the window seats and just learn about each other.

After a few hours I look at my phone and see it is almost 3. "I'm sorry Alyssa but I have to go. I was supposed to be at the store." She laughs. "Ok, well it was nice meeting you." She pulls me into a hug then goes to walk off. "Wait Alyssa. Umm, do you think I could have you number?" I ask nervously. She lets out a small laugh and nods. She takes my phone and put her name and everything in.

'Alyssa😍💖🌼'
I smile and walk out the door.

Mitch POV
"That was amazing" I say while finishing up my food. Scott nods and takes my hand. "It sure was sweetheart." Just then his phone buzzes. He lets out a sigh and pulls his phone out. "Well looks like we're heading to Texas!" I look at him confused. "Why?" "The boss wants us to follow Avi and Kirstie there in case something happens." He explains. "Is Kevin coming?" He shakes his head. "Nope, just me and you. Says here that we are visiting you 'family'. Which is just some people the boss picked out." I nod. "When do we leave?" He looks back at his phone. "3 hours. And we'll be there for 4 days." "3 hours! That's like no time for me to back!" I exclaim. Scott laughs. "Good thing we're heading home right now. Just let me pay." He calls over the waiter and quickly pays. "Let's go." Scott says with a smile. I take his hand and we head to the car before driving back to the apartment.

Once we get there I immediately run to my room and start packing. I don't know how long I spend running around but at some point Scott walked into my room to tell me it's time to go. "Ok." I zip up my bag and roll it out of the room. "Are we driving or flying?" I ask. "Flying. So let's hurry." I nod and we go put our stuff in the car. "And we're off!" I say as we pull out.

By the time we get to the airport we have 30 minutes. We quickly grab our stuff and head to security. Once we're through we have just enough time to have our bags put on the plane and get to our seats. "Thank you for choosing to fly with us today. I must ask that you turn all electronics either off or to air plane mode. I hope you enjoy your flight with us. " The flight attendant says. I quickly turn off my phone and lean back in my seat. I watch as the plane takes off and the world below shrinks. Let's hope Kevin doesn't freak when he sees we're gone.

Kevin POV
"Guys I'm home!" I yell while walking in. At first I don't get a response so I go look around. When I look in both their rooms I notice a lot of their clothes are gone. "Great they left me." I mumble to myself before going to unload the groceries.