Chapter Ten: Cat and Mouse

Start from the beginning

His black eyes narrowed. I could feel his gaze on the blood stains on the back of the filthy shift. "On him, on everyone that laid a hand on you and every soul that wanted to watch you die. Don't you worry, goblins are very good at revenge." He shut the door and turned to the servants. "Make her gleam again and do it quickly."

At once, the tub goblins grabbed me and ripped the shift off my body. My arms instinctively went to cover myself. "Not in front of Knut, you fools!" I spat, kicking at them to distract myself from my burning face.

"I didn't see anything." Knut chuckled, clasping his hands over his eyes. "Not much anyway."

"This way, Miss Bride." The tub goblins snatched my hands before I could slap Knut with them and helped me to climb into the tub. The water was just the right temperature and was milky with the vast number of oils and soaps the goblins were continuously pouring into it. The water was sweet with the smell of fresh wildflowers and mint.

"Want me to scrub your back?" Knut asked with his hands still over his eyes, enjoying himself immensely.

"Shut up." I hissed.

The tailors were showing Knut the several ballgowns they'd brought with them. "The black one, I think, for tonight. It matches her mood perfectly. The gold for tomorrow." He said, chuckling at the glare I was shooting him with.

Goblins spread soapy sponges over my body, washing away the filth and grime. Oddly, the soap did not burn the deep gashes all over my back. "What are you still doing here, Knut?" I cringed as he walked towards me, drawing nearer until he stood above me, and I had to crane my neck to keep eye contact. Again, my arms instinctively hid my intimate places even though the milky water came up to my neck. "The servants can take care of me. Leave and let me get ready for your party in peace."

"I will." He said. To his credit he did keep his eyes averted, avoiding directly looking at me. "But first, allow me to give you back your hair." Suddenly, he grabbed me by the head and forced me down under the water. I screamed in surprise, but even with my head completely submerged, no water entered my mouth nor filled my nose. He brought me back up with a jerk and long hair fell around my terrified face. Gasping, I ran my fingers through the long tresses, marveling at the feeling of it slipping through my grasp. He grinned at me as he dried his hand with a towel. "That's better. Seeing you without that glorious mane was depressing me. It's one of your best features." He tossed the towel into a servant's face. "I want her sparkling when you're done with her. I want her to put Freya to shame." He started to leave, but stopped and spun on his heel, swiftly returning to my side. "I almost forgot." He retrieved a faerie fruit from behind my ear and held it before my dripping face. "You never ate the one I sent you earlier. You must be starving. It's been what? Two...three days since you ate last?"

"It's faerie fruit." I wrinkled my nose at it. My stomach gurgled with want, betraying me.

"What does it matter now?" He shrugged. "You pulled the thread. You can't go back to your old life. Not ever. Eat. What do you have to lose?"

I started to reach a shaky hand towards the red plum. My fingers stilled before their tips could graze the fruit's skin. "Why do you want me to eat it so badly?" I eyed him warily.

"Besides it being as filling as a three-course meal?" His smile turned crooked. A red tongue passed over sharp teeth. "It causes an intense feeling of euphoria which I think you might appreciate considering how the past few days have gone." A low chuckle echoed in his narrow chest. "It also happens to be a popular aphrodisiac among the faeries."

I cringed away. "I've just lost my appetite."

He laughed like a little kid playing a practical joke. "We'll save it for the wedding night then." He tucked the fruit in his pocket for safe keeping. He perched on the rim of the tub, absently watching the goblins work. His expression grew dour, his smile falling away. "I'm sorry about your brothers. I know you miss them."