“Why?” Payal asked.

“Because he misses you.  You still have a while in New York.  And Payal, I’ve taken responsibility of your marriage.  If your father tries to marry you off to some creep in India, you tell me and I’ll handle it.” Aman said protectively.

“Thanks Jija-ji! You’re the best!” Payal exclaimed excitedly.  

“Have you seen Priya anywhere?” Aman asked, noticing that she wasn’t around.  

“No...Didi went with you, didn’t she?” Payal observed.  

“I’ll check upstairs.” Aman said, before turning towards the stairs.  

Aman checked his bedroom first.  That was where he’d last seen Priya, but she wasn’t there.  He then tried Payal’s room, but again didn’t find her.  After checking a few more rooms, he began to get worried.  

“Priya.” he called through the hallway.  He waited and listen for a reply.  Nothing.  He opened the door to the room at the end of the hallway. He was surprised to see gazing out of the massive window at the back if the room.  Her back was turned towards the door, so she didn’t notice that he’d entered.  The room was immersed in darkness.  The only light was shining in from the window.  Aman closed the door gently and quietly walked towards her.  

“Priya.  What are you doing here?” he asked, “Why are all the lights off?”  Aman flipped the light switch on.  He looked over at Priya who was hastily trying to wipe away her tears.  

“What’s the matter?” Aman asked.  He quickly made his way to her.  “Why are you crying?”

Priya didn’t answer.  She turned away and stepped closer to the window, breaking away from the slight grasp Aman had on her shoulder.  

“Priya, please talk to me.” Aman again approached her.  She didn’t pull away this time, partly because she didn’t want to and partly because there was nowhere else to go.  

“You…” Priya started, a tear rolling down her cheek as she spoke.  

“Me? Did I do something wrong?” Aman asked, concerned.  

“You...want a divorce.” Priya managed to say.  She burst into a silent cry.  Aman took her in his arms and allowed her to cry on his shoulder.  

“No, Priya.  Why would you think that?” Aman tried to calm her down.  He pulled away from her and wiped her tears away.  

“On the phone...you s-said…” Priya stammered. She fixed her gaze on the ground.   

“Those were just empty threats.  I wasn’t really going to leave you.  I don’t want a divorce, honestly.” Aman said quietly.  After he’d wiped away the last of her tears, he pulled her into another embrace.  

Priya blushed.  She was so embarrassed.  Here she was, bawling like a baby just because Aman had said he’d divorce her.  She hadn’t known him for long, but she realized now that she couldn’t bear the thought of not having him in her life.  

“I’m sorry.” Aman apologized.  He pulled away from her again, and Priya was left desiring his body’s warmth.  

“No, I’m sorry for reacting this way.” Priya answered.  

“It’s okay.  It’s nice to know you care so much.” Aman replied, “Come on, we better go downstairs otherwise who knows what Payal must think we’re doing.”

“Okay,” Priya agreed.  She silently followed Aman back downstairs.  She felt a slight fluttering in her heart.  Aman was making her more nervous than usual.  His close proximity had nearly sent her swooning.  Priya knew she was falling for him, but she had to keep herself under control.