1st Day

"Xiomara! Get up now!" I heard my Aunt yell from downstairs for the 15th time this morning. I didn't want to get up. I've been up for hours, in fact, I didn't even sleep. 

We leave at 9:00 am and I want to die now, I thought to myself.

"Come on,  Xio." This time, she pleaded and I just had to get up. I quickly showered and got dressed as comfortable as I could. 

6:00 am, at least I'll get some sleep on the plane, I thought and went downstairs.

"The only reason why I didn't pour ice cold water on you, is because I know this is really hard for you." She warned half angry, half relieved. "And cause I won't be going with you." she said carefully.

"What?!" I asked, in obvious disbelief, as she handed me one plane ticket.

"I'm sorry honeybee, I need to sort some things out in the company." Her voice was full of regret. I sighed in response, looking at my feet. 

"Well, that's that, I guess." I said, as Lucy came to my side. Wrapping her arm around me. 

"Don't worry, floresita, I'll be there in a few weeks." She said and kissed my forehead. She always insisted how I was her little flower. I hated it the first time she said it. Then she explained that back in Spain, she grew flowers with her mother. She admired flowers and she admired me. Since then, she has been my confident and my grandmother figure. I was devastated to realized that I wouldn't be close enough to see her whenever I felt like it anymore. 

"So, I'll be there alone for the first few weeks?!" I asked trying, but failing, to stay calm. The mixture of feelings and impulses was becoming a bit overwhelming. 

"Yes, but I know you can do this. You won't have to visit Marco yet, we'll do that together." She, sweetly, caressed my face.

"Okay..." I sighed in relief, and continued. "Well. I guess this is a "see ya later"." I said, trying to lighten up the mood.

"See ya later, honeybee." My aunt said sweetly, then kissed my forehead and each of my cheeks.

"I gotta get to the airport." I grabbed my last bag and walked outside, where our driver was waiting for me. I got in the car and as I shut the door, I took a last look at what I was leaving.

I had already said goodbye to my apartment, which my aunt had kept to use whenever we needed and Jason had promised to come visit in a few days. I waved goodbye to the house where only good memories came to mind and prepared myself for what I was facing now. 

Alone...

--

1:00 pm. That same day. 

"Northville." I breathed out as we crossed the threshold between the new me and the old me.

"So, where did Aunt Mary buy the house?" I asked the driver, playing with my fingers from the nerves just being here provoked in me .

"Oh, not sure yet, I'm letting the GPS guide me." He said in a cheerful voice.

"You're new, huh?" I asked him, not because he was too happy, but because our drivers are often extremely professional.

"Yes ma'am, I am." He said as he took a right on Benny's Drug Store.

"Wait...are you taking a left, now?" I asked carefully.

"Yes I am. How did you know?" he asked, happily surprised as he took the left.

There they were, the gates to what was heaven to me years ago.

"Northville Hills." I muttered.

"Wow, ma'am. Please tell me how you knew that." I couldn't focus on why he was being so weird about it.