The Summer I Ran Into My Childhood Best Friend

"Shhhh!" my annoying little sister Ann whispered to me from our hiding spot behind to the outdoor toy bin.

"Oh stop, they wont be able to find us behind here," I retorted angrily. Naturely I would have smacked her in the arm but I was too afraid she would start yelling at me, giving away are position.

It was the fourth of July and the sun seemed to beat down extra hard on this particular day. At the moment, my sister and I were playing a very intense game of hide and seek at our neighbors Alex and Ben Brooks house. Their mom decided to have a barbaque with us for the day, which in my eyes was like any other day.

Ever since I could remember, my sister and I have been spending practically everyday with Alex and Ben. My sister, who is in kindergarten, is the same age as Ben. I, on the other hand, am in the third grade and the exact same age as Alex. Being the same age made getting along between the four of us very easy. The only difference between us two siblings is that my sister and I are enrolled in public school while Alex and Ben are home schooled. 

"Come on Kathryn," my sister muttered beside me, "Lets move to a new spot!"

"Why? We're perfectly fine were we are."

"Please!? I heard someone coming close," she said sounding more and more stressed with every word she whispered.

"Would you just shutup-"

"Found you!" Alex yelled as he jumped into our view with Ben quickly following in his footsteps.

"Told you we should have moved," Ann said irratated.

"What took you guys so long," I taunted, ignoring Ann's snide comment.

"Hey, we knew were you guys were the entire time!" Ben sqeaked from beside Alex, "We were.....well um....we were just eating dinner!"

"Ya, thats right," Alex confirmed, trying to back up his little brother.

"Kids!" I heard Alex and Bens mother call from the back yard door, "Dinners ready."

Sitting up from my position on the ground, I helped Ann up before turning around to face the boys too say, "Dinner, huh?"

Before eithor of them could say anything however, Ann shouted wide-eyed, "Oooooo! You guys lied, I'm telling on you."

Ben looked like he wanted to tackle Ann while Alex just grinned mischeiviously, more than likely conjuring some kind of scary story to freak my sister out of tattle-tailing. Within the last one-two years Alex and I have been trying to freak our younger siblings out with as many made up stories as we could. The last one we told them was over the winter when we were watching a movie at Ann and I's house. Ben and Ann kept infuriatingly grinding popcorn kernals loudly in their mouths and slurping hot chocolate. Alex and I got sick and tired of it so I ended up telling them that if they ate popcorn kernals and then drank something hot, the kernals would explode in their stomach. The two of them started hysterically crying while Alex and I just laughed at their reactions.

"I wouldnt do that if I were you Ann," Alex said in fake horror, "Have you ever heard of No-Nosed-Tony?"

"W-who's that?" both Ben and Ann asked shakily.

Joyed that he had both of thier attentions, Alex continued, "Way back when, Tony and his friend were playing on the swings at school when Tony accidently pushed his friend to hard, causing him to fall off. Tony's friend tattled on him and his parents ended up cutting off his nose!"

"No! You're telling storie's!" Ann cried.

"Oh no I'm not, and you wanna no why?...because he still lives in this town to this very day! He hunts down all the tattle-tails and takes their noses in revenge for his nose being taken!"