The silence engulfs us all. The loss weighing heavy on all of our shoulders, and I realize that I'm not the only one feeling the guilt. My heart pangs, tearing apart in pain. I collapsed in one of the chairs, bowing my head in acceptance. We all  bask in each others silence, united by our hurt. For now, there is no war, there is just people-alike seeking comfort.

_____________________________________________________________________

RILEY POV

"Emily!" 

Damn it she can be so infuriating. I watch as she sprints into the house, leaving me with a hurt Sam and a dead body to be taken care of.

"What the hell happened Riley?" Samantha demands my attention.

Martin is dead. His own sister ended his life and tried to put the blame on my mate. My mate official broke. Her face was an absolute nightmare, to see so much pain... my wolf whimpers, wanting to comfort our mate.

"Martin is dead." 

I march away, giving her instructions through the mind link to plan a proper funeral for Martin. 

I collect all of my warriors, knowing that it is now or never for the war. These deaths are tolling up and there is nothing to show for it. Nothing gained and everything lost. 

Everyone begins their battle practices and I work them hard, needing them to be ready. 

___________________________________________________________________

Emily POV

People slowly start to leave. Some to get food, others to find some sleep, until finally it's just me and the brunette. We stay silent for several moments until I cannot bare it.

"What is your name?"

"My name is Gemma." She speaks so soft, my ears strain to hear. 

I cock my head, studying her appearance. Her hair is salt and pepper, much like Martin's. 

"I am the youngest of three. Sapphire is my sister and Martin was my brother." Her jaw tightens, eyes working to find somewhere to look without crying.

"I'm very sorry." 

"They were twins you know. I was born a year later. She killed her own twin, and now I'm left to kill her." She glares a hole into the table, looking angry enough to do just that. 

Shaking my head I stand and leave her to it. This can't go on. It simply needs to end. Looking out the tall windows in the kitchen I watch as Riley glistening in sweat fights and trains with his men. My heart blooms with love, and I innerly thank the light for being so lenient to me. 

Children run around in the connected playground, mothers chatting and watching them from benches. All of the friends that I have made goof around rather than train seriously. My stomach churns, but I know what I have to do. Swallowing my tears I go upstairs to locate my suitcase. 

Passing by the living room John sits in the corner chair, watching me with grave eyes. I know right away that he understands what is going through my mind. Panic blooms in my chest, but he reassures me with a stern nod of his head. His vow of silence making my heart hurt even more. I nod once before turning and pacing away, not able to look at the shattered look on his face. I know he will have to tell people, but I hope that he will give me time. 

I didn't pack much. Just a few shirts and a couple pair of jeans. The combat boots on my feet will have to last me.

The leaves crunch beneath my feet. The constant crackling making it almost impossible to keep my emotions out of the way. But I manage. I turn off all of my feelings, I wouldn't be able to keep going if I didn't. I think of nothing. The love that once swelled my heart has been numbed.