Chapter 22

The tears stream down my face, Sapphires words mockingly bouncing around in my head. Blood trickles out of his mouth, confirming what I already know. He's dead.

Sobs wrack my body, shaking me with startling vibrance. 

A small groan sounds from beside me but I can't bring myself to look up, to meet his eyes. Everything that has happened is my fault, my hands are stained red. 

"Emily? What the hell happened?" Riley's voice is rough and filled with confusion.

Falling back against the wall I stuff my face into my knees, hiding from his gaze. I call on The Power to release him, the sound of sizzling flesh dies down immediately. A moment later warm hands are grabbing me, collecting my body in a comforting hold. I stuff my face into his neck, seeking cover from the world and it's consequences. His body shakes with mine, the soft growls coming from his chest calming my sobs so that they are dull whimpers. 

"It's not your fault." He whispers before picking me up bridal style.

I don't respond, I can't. I watch over his shoulder as he carries me out, watching as Martin gets smaller and smaller, his white hair losing all of its detail. 

She killed her own brother.

How can I beat someone who has no boundaries? No emotions?

My face is swollen with emotion, my eyes closing in with the tension. The only thing that keeps me grounded is the feel of Riley against me. 

I see Sam before she spots us, watching as her body fills with tension when she sees my face. She jogs toward us quickly, holding her panic down from showing on her face.

"What's happened?" Her voice annoys me, anger starts to bubble to the surface. 

I squirm in Riley's hold, needing to be at my strongest right now. He just looks down at me in confusion and waits a moment before setting me back on my feet. 

Stuffing my face in Sam's I snarl loudly, "None of your damn business."

Turning I stalked away, moving toward the house with increasing pace until I'm in full sprint. Riley calls my name from behind me, sounding baffled, but I don't look back. My anger is startling, I'm not sure how to deal with it. 

The meeting room is full of cloaks when I step inside, everyone stops talking when I walk in. 

"Martin is dead." 

One after the other, hoods fall to reveal the young faces of the council. A brunette woman steps toward me, her face grave. She nods once, not surprised by what I told her.

"We know. It is apart of the prophecy, there was no help for it."

The anger still bubbles at the surface and I have to fight to keep it controlled. "You could have told me. I could have stopped it! I would have been more careful!"

She shakes her head, a single tear falling from her face. "There was nothing that could be done. I will take over your training. Martin had assured us that you are strong enough to win this. We need to win this." Desperation seeps from her tone, her eyes pleading with me.

"I don't want this. I don't any of this! What is the point of the light?" I cry, meeting everyone's now uncloaked eyes. "If I had accepted the darkness I could have saved him!"

"If it wasn't for the darkness he wouldn't have needed saving. Don't you understand? Without the light there is no love. The moment Sapphire let the darkness in she had no more family, no more love." Her hands wave as she speaks, her tone scolding me to my core.