Chapter Fifty Six - The Last Chapter

Start from the beginning

What the hell??? I was getting really worried now. I dialled Sanyukta's number again but she disconnected after two rings. Now I was sure that she was disconnecting my calls on purpose. But why?? What have I done that made her so upset that she left without informing me and now she's disconnecting my calls. I took a deep breath and dialled her number again ... It kept on ringing for a while until she finally picked it up.

As soon as I heard her voice, I was relieved that she was safe but the next moment I lost my cool. I shouted at her for being so irresponsible and leaving the house without informing me. I told her I was worried for her but she retorted back saying that there's no need for me to be worried for her as she knows that I love someone else and that she's just a responsibility which has been bestowed upon me forcefully. I was shocked and perplexed for a minute. I confessed that I love her and there's no one in my life except her. There was a silence for a while. But her next words pulled the ground off my feet. She told me that she doesn't want to be a burden on me anymore therefore she wanted a divorce.... . Divorce!!!! Did she say Divorce????? How could she say something like that when I just confessed my love for her. I lost my temper and started screaming on the phone saying that she can't do this to us , but she had already disconnected the call by then . I tried dialling her number again but she had switched it off. I banged my fist on the table and threw my phone to the other side breaking it into pieces. I cancelled the rest of the meetings that were lined up for that day and drove away towards home.

Her words kept ringing in my ears through out the way. My mind was preoccupied with a set of thoughts that wouldn't let me calm.Why hadn't she questioned me about what she saw?? Why didn't she trust me ?? Does she think so low of me that I would cheat on her behind her back?? My heart threw so many questions to which I had no answer.

Soon I reached the gates of Shekhawat mansion and parked my car. I got out of it and ran towards my room without replying Raima who stood in the hall and said a 'Hi' . I walked into my room and slammed the door behind me. I threw my bag on the sofa along with the tie and sat down with a thud . I felt as if a lump was formed in my throat and found it difficult to breathe. I sighed deeply as my hands flew up to my face and covered my already closed eyes . But the minute I closed my eyes I started visualising her face in front of me . The flashes of all our tiny yet blissful moments started rolling in front of my eyes. The reminisces of Our first bike ride , the incident of the bus stop, our wedding , the moment when I tied the mangalsutra around her neck and applied the vermillion between the parting of her hair. The moment when we took the seven vows in front of the sacred fire. Our first rain after marriage, our first date , our first dance in the moonlight. The night we slept in each other's arms for the first time, the perfect dinner date she had planned for us made my lips curve into a smile . However, the next minute ,it got overshadowed by Sanyukta's words which started ringing in my ears again . I took a deep breath and opened my eyes.

Everything seemed so right till the last evening. It was nothing less than a beautiful dream. She had planned a perfect romantic dinner date for us . She had gone out of her ways to dress up and look exceptionally beautiful just for me. Just a misunderstanding changed things overnight that too so terribly???? . I sighed deeply and got up to reach the cupboard to get my clothes when my gaze fell on the card which Ananya had given me the previous night. Something clicked me. I picked up the card and searched for my phone which was now lying broken in office.

I strode my way towards the landline and dialled the number of the hotel. It was answered by the receptionist after two rings. I asked her to connect me to room number 2045 where Ananya was staying. I was put on hold and was connected to Ananya's room after two minutes.