Chapter Thirty Six

The drive from Karan's farm house to Shekhawat Mansion was going smooth until Randhir pressed the clutch to change the gear and the car suddenly started to vibrate. As he lifted his leg from the clutch pedal to check what was happening, black smoke started coming out of the exhaust and the car suddenly came to a halt in the middle of the road. Thankfully it was quite late in the night and the roads were  empty and devoid of any traffic . Randhir looked at the fuel gauge in surprise.The tank wasn't empty. He tried to re-start the engine but all in vain.

"Kya hua???", Sanyukta asked in a worried tone.

"Pata nahi.. I'll have to see .... Ummm..
Do you mind getting down for a while???"

"Yeah... Sure.."

They got down the car and he pushed it from the centre of the road to a kerb.  He then opened the bonnet to see what went wrong.
He went straight to the fuel line, saw what was wrong and mended it.

"Aaa... Sanyukta, could you please get inside the car and try re-starting the engine??"

"Yeah...". She did as instructed and the car purred to life. But the next minute , the engine coughed and died. He fingered the fuel line, drew out some petrol out of it and saw the cause..

"Whats the problem???", Sanyukta asked getting out of the car and walking upto him.

"Fuel tank mein pani chala Gaya lagta hai.. We'll have to drain out whatever petrol is left inside and refill it again with fresh one.... But ...."

"But???? ", she frowned in confusion.

"But... Problem yeh hai ki yahan aas pass kafi dur tak koi petrol pump nahi hai.."

"What!!!! Ab hum Kya Karenge???"

He took out his mobile from the car  , dialled a number and spoke to someone ,moving a few steps away from the place where they were standing. He came back after a minute , place the phone back on its holder and chipped, " Don't worry Maine Karan ko call kar diya hai , he'll drop us home . But usey aane mein thoda time lagega toh Humey uske aane tak yahin wait karna padega...."

" Aur hum kar bhi Kya sakte hai...", she sighed

"By the way..... Kuch aur bhi hai Jo hum Karan ke aane tak kar sakte hai..."

"Kk... Kya???"

"Woh..", he said pointing his finger in the direction of an ice-cream vendor who was a few meters away . She smiled at him and they both walked the distance and reached the vehicle of the ice- cream vendor.

"Bhaiya Ek Cornetto Ka Black Forest dena aur......", he paused realising he didn't know what she likes .

"Tum Kya logi???", he asked turning towards her.

"Double chocolate....", she replied with a smile.

"Bhaiya Do Cornetto dena... ek Black Forest aur ek Double Chocolate....", he chipped turning to the vendor , paid the money, took the cones and forwarded one to her.

"Thanks...", she chipped taking the cone from him.

"Tumhe khane mein kya pasand hai???", he asked walking back towards their car.