Eight

Finally, after Zak's shift ended, and the cafe was cleaned, Darryl and him headed out.

"Did you drive here?" Darryl asked, looking over at Zak; even though he already knew the answer by the empty parking lot.

"No, I walked" Zak looked up at him, smiling.

"So I have an idea, what if we go to the fair?" Darryl breathes out, after having all the air punched out of him by Zak's illuminating smile.

"That sounds amazing!" Zak jumped up slightly, smiling bigger than before.

-x-

"Oh my goodness Zak!" Darryl laughed out, looking at the boy who had cotton candy painting the corners of his mouth.

"Wha-"

Darryl licked his thumb, and wiped the corner of Zak's mouth with it. Leaving Zak speechless, with his mouth a gap.

Zak quickly cleared his throat and shook his head, "Can we go over to the carnival booths and try to get one of the stuffed animals?"

"Of course we can you muffin!" Darryl quickly grabbed Zak's hand and walked with him over towards the booths.

-x-

Zak had a pep in his step while carrying the stuffed elephant that Darryl had won for him in one hand, and in the other hand Zak had had his fingers interlocked with Darryl's.

-x-

Finally, after rides, food, photos, and over all fun, they made their way to the ferris wheel.

A little over twenty minutes and they were at the top of the wheel.

Darryl was pointing out the stars, lights of the city, and various other surrounding attractions.

Zak proceeded to hold his hand, placing his head on Darryl's shoulder, and finally looking up at him.

Finally Darryl look down upon Zak, and something in that moment compelled him to no end to just reach out a little further and press his lips against Zak's.

So, that's exactly what he did.

This was truly the start of something beautiful.