prologue

Sandkit listened to her mother tell her about the cat that saved their clan. About a cat named Nettlesprout
about a cat named Poppysnap.

   Sometimes she wondered why her clan was so careful. Why they hid in the shadows, why they killed every trespasser.

   She wondered why her mother went to the river, and cried. She asked her once, but she had received no answer.

   The skies were getting darker, the last few patrols went out, and her mother was fast asleep.

   Sandkit was wide awake, as usual. She stared at the exit of the camp, desperately wanting to explore.

   The tiny kit pushed a sleeping Smokekit off of her and carefully started toward the bramble covered tunnel.

   The guard was fast asleep, there really wasn't a point to guard anymore. Since the rouges from the last attack were gone.

   Or so they say.

   She snuck out carefully. Some thorns scratched her back, her yelps of pain muffled by her tail.

   Then she was free.

   Sandkit had heard stories of DoveClan, how they were more kind. It seemed like a choice.

   But then, she had heard of the Uncharted Lands, where loners and kittypets were.

   Maybe they would be welcoming.

   Running away seemed like a good idea, after all, Sandkit didn't want to kill.

   Then she realized that she was hungry.

   Oh, Sandkit, you mouse brain!

   Okay, DoveClan it is.

   The she-kit ran, not knowing where the clan even was. She had just guessed.

   Meanwhile, a cat stepped out of the shadows, a sliver colored she-cat. Sister of a cat named Wizard.

   She watched as the ginger she-kit tripped, and she recognized the scent of her.

   She was from the clan Pixie had sworn to kill.

   Sandkit struggled to get up, since one of her paws were stuck in a hole. She was so busy trying to out, she didn't notice the shadow behind her.

   Pixie grabbed the kit by the scruff and ran, back to the camp, to get all the information out of her as possible.

   Sandkit yowled, screeched, and let out distressed kit noises.

   But nobody came.