SON OF TESLA: Chapter 31

"I LOVE YOU TOO, honey," Rachel Parson held the cell phone tighter against her tear-streaked cheeks. "Are you sure you can't change your mind? Oh, Jeremy, you've always been so strong-willed. Your father would be proud, you know. Just please be safe."

"I will." Jem's tinny voice echoed out of the earpiece in the phone, then a beep signaled that the connection had been cut. Rachel slowly took the cell phone away from her ear, silver cuffs clinking. The touchscreen was wet, and she had trouble clicking the call off.

She rounded on the man standing in the shadows beside her, eyes like fire.

"You bastard!" she shrieked. "If you don't bring him back tonight, I'm suing every single one of you. You made me lie to my son. Now let me see Ash."

General Damien Samil gave her a snakelike smile, holstered the pistol he'd been holding to her temple, then turned to the sergeant behind him.

"You get it?"

"Cumberland, Maryland. We're prepping the chopper. Dust-off in five."

"Very good. Dismissed," General Samil hissed between clenched lips. He waited until the sergeant left the room, then turned back to Rachel Parson.

"You've just done a very good thing," he said soothingly, the words curdling like sour milk in Rachel's ears. "You'll see your daughter soon, I promise. She's being well taken care of. Once we have the fugitive in captivity, you'll all be reunited."

"Why are we being held prisoner? We didn't do anything." Rachel's eyes were pleading.

"Just precautions." Samil reached over and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. Rachel recoiled. His touch felt slimy, although his hands were dry. She pushed him away with her cuffed hands. The smile left Samil's face and a darkness clouded his eyes. With the back of his hand, he slapped her across the cheek. A slim, black ring on his pinky cut her lip.

"And if you know what's good for you," he hissed, "you'll play along. The US military is just looking out for the good of its people. We're the good guys. Remember that."

"Sir," the sergeant appeared in the doorway, cutting Samil off. "The chopper's ready." The sergeant looked curiously at Rachel, seeing the thin trickle of blood curling off her lower lip, then glanced back at Samil.

"I'll be along," General Samil said curtly. The sergeant saluted and disappeared around the door frame. Samil gave one last look at Rachel, then followed him.

Thanks for reading my story! Please VOTE and let me know what you think of it so far, then check out Chapter 32!