SON OF TESLA: Chapter 13

FOR THE NEXT FEW hours, Jem saw only in Polaroid flashes.

The steady blip of overhead streetlights racing over the windshield. Beside him, the tall man from the accident, hunched over the steering wheel.

Brighter lights. White. Voices. A red glow. Hands, pulling his mother from the rear seat of the Escape. Jem raised a hand to protest, but found that it weighed more than a mountain.

Ash. Pulled through the other rear door. White clothes. White lights.

Receding. The steady thump of tires on the highway.

Petar. Glancing over with concern. Backseat. Empty.

The visions melted together with his dreams. A man with a dead blue face, standing over his mother's body. Blue sparks shooting from the walls. Jayne Wilmer, walking away across a field. He ran toward her, but couldn't get closer. Without looking back, she disappeared into a stand of twisted trees. Jem went through, and Petar was telling him it was going to be okay while he knelt over his mom on the laundry room floor. Petar looked up and his face had been replaced with a skull. Blue flames flickered in the empty eye sockets. His mother's body turned to ash and blew away. Jem tried to catch the dust, hold onto it, but it kept slipping through his fingers. He ran after it, but Petar held him back. Blue fire. I'm helping, the skull laughed.

I'm helping.

Thanks for reading my story! Please VOTE and let me know what you think of it so far, then check out Chapter 14!