Chapter 6

"So... you're saying that you... used me?"

 "Yup." I answered cheerfully, grinning up at him.

He shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe this. Tell me agian, why am I your friend?"

"Because you looove me." I teased, before running outside, my arms spread out wide, making airplane noises.

"Riiight." He chuckled, following behind me. "That's why."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at my house (really Jason's house, but to me it was mine and mine only) Benj and I were lounging on the couch, watching Spongebob and, in my case,  eating some kind of german chocolate with a name that I can't pronounce. As I chewed on the foreign deliciousness, I noticed Benj was being, well, quiet. He wasn't as loud as me, but he almost always had something to say. The fact that he was staring ahead, not making any jibe about Spongebob as usual was fairly disconcerting.

So I did what anyone in my situation would do: I poked him in the cheek. His reply: nothing. I poked him again, harder. Still nothing. I went in for another jab, but his hand stopped me. Still holding my wrist he looked over and raised an eyebrow.

"What?" He asked.

"Why are you so quiet?" I replied, frowning.

"Luce..." He started, and suddenly I knew what this was about. 

"Is this about me kissing you?" He let go and my wrist landed in my lap.

"I just need to know... why? You could've grabbed the nearest guy to us and used him instead, like at our last school. Hell, you could've said you were a lesbian, like with that one guy when your parents made you go to that dinner thing."

"Too bad that didn't work. The guy actually liked that I supposedly liked girls. "

"That's not the point. The point is, you kissed me Luce."

"Jeez Benj calm down. You look like your about to explode from brain over-usage. Why is this such a big deal anyway?" My stomach was starting to knot unpleasantly.

"Because. You. Kissed me!"

I stared at him in disbelief. Was that really the best he could come up with? He saw my look and backtracked. "Okay, that's not it exactly. It's that-"

He paused, trying to figure out what to say. I answered for him. "Because you kissed me back?"

He started sputtering, "What... no... I didn't... you kissed me!" I opened my mouth to argue, but he didn't let me.  "I've been kissed before Luce. I know what it feels like when a girl likes me when she kisses me. And it felt like that. There, that's the problem."

"I was faking you bum! I was just acting so that I could get rid of Tony." 

"No one can fake a kiss like that if they don't like the guy!"

"What the hell? Do you want me to be in love with you?"

"That's not what I said."

"It sounded like it. Now stop making such a big deal out of this, you're starting to sound like a girl."

"I'll stop when you prove to me that that kiss meant nothing."

I blew out an angry breath. Boys! They could be so stupid and stubborn at the worst times. "And how do you want me to do that? What, should I kiss every guy at the party Friday?"

"No-"

"Then what? Do you want me to make out with this pillow?"

He laughed. "You wouldn't do that."