Chapter 4

Waking up has never been my thing. That's why I never went to my first two hours of school. But now that I had promised to turn things around, sleeping in was no longer an option.

Not that I didn't try.

"LUCE WAKE UP!" Jason yelled in my ear.

I screamed and sat up instantly, smacking heads with him.

"OW!" We both complained. I rubbed my head and glared at him.

"UGH! What the hell Jason! It's seven! In the morning!"

"On a school day. Your first school day at Carlisle Academy."

"Academy? Please tell me it's not another prep school where I have to where a uniform, is it?"

"Sorry sis, there's a uniform. And it's also a school that starts in twenty minutes."

"WHAT?! Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

"Because you would have killed me. Now get dressed."

I sighed. "Fine."

The door closed behind him with a slam. I groaned as I rolled myself out of bed... and landed ungracefully in a heap on the floor. I untangled myself from the sheets and headed towards the closet.

As I pulled on the hideous white blouse and navy skirt,  my mind wondered to other things.

Only three years ago, I had been blonde, nice, and a goody- goody. At that time my parents had been my only source of unhappiness.I'd been hiding from them since I was five, hating them when they were away or at home, and they felt the same way. I was never good enough. The only thing that kept me from giving up and stopping trying was Jason. He always tried to protect me from the harsh critigue of parents and keep me the nice innocent girl I was then. But even so, shortly after he turned eighteen, he got in a huge fight with our parents and left. He still kept in contact, but it wasn't enough. So I switched schools, dyed my hair, and locked out everyone but Benj.

Until yesterday, when Jason had basically said I was a slut, I hadn't realized I'd also locked Jason out so that he only seen my bad side. It hurt, because he used to be my protector, but I couldn't change his mind by simply saying I wasn't that way. So for now I'd have to deal.

I shook my head from the depressing thoughts and tugged a pair of spandex on underneath the skirt. When I was finished, I grabbed my hair-brush, flung open the door, and walked over to the kitchen space where Jason was rummaging through the fridge, muttering to himself.

"Find anything good?" I asked, laughing when he banged his head on the top of the fridge in response.

"Damn Lucy, that's the second time you've made me hit my head today." He grimaced and rubbed the sore spot.

I wrinkled my nose. "Don't call me Lucy." Now it was his turn to laugh.

"Aww, come on. I've always called you Lucy. Besides, I'm your big brother. I can call you whatever I want." He ruflled my hair, something he hadn't done since I was twelve, and grinned. I swatted his hand away, annoyed.

"But you called me Luce when Mom and Dad came," I argued, "And you went on about how horrible I was too. Why are you suddenly acting like I'm the thirteen year old girl you left behind?"

Jason stopped smiling but said nothing. I squinted, staring hard at his face, trying to decode it. After a few moments, my eyes widened in realization.

"It's about what Benj said when you walked in on us when we were unpacking, isn't it!"

"It looked more like you were fighting than unpacking to me."