Day 30: After all this time

Dear diary,

Alden came by today. He showed up as I was watching the movie, My Best friend's wedding. We were so into the movie, we ended up making a pact. If we were both still single when he turned 35, we would marry each other. He said he wanted to see if it would happen despite his knowledge of the chaos theory that one small ripple would cause a significant change in our lives. He's such a nerd. I secretly don't mind. After all, I may be 14, but I already know my looks won't make me anybody's dream girl. It's just nice to know I have a backup plan and won't end up alone in life. Den's not exactly cute in his glasses and braces but from one geek to another, I think we're an ok match.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear diary,

What should have been the best night of my high school year turned out to be a disaster. Yesterday afternoon, I was preparing for prom when Den dropped by. He was home from college. I never should have let him in! I was upstairs when Mike came to pick me up. I have no idea what happened but Den must have said something to him because he ended up leaving! After 2 weeks of rejoicing that Mike finally asked me, I suddenly had no date to the prom! Den offered to take me but I was so mad, I kicked him out of the house and ended up not going. I didn't want to be known as the girl who lost her date! I cried myself to sleep last night, it was that painful.

P.S. Den looked kinda cute without his glasses. However, that doesn't change the fact that he cost me a date with the guy I've been pining for, for the past 3 months!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog entry

Really bad day today. My job interview was a disaster plus I spilled coffee on my blouse while waiting for Miggy at Starbucks. Yes Miggy, the guy I've been dating for a while now. The one who I thought was on the verge of asking me to be his girlfriend. Well I thought wrong. While I was waiting, guess who I ran into? My childhood friend Den. I haven't seen or talked to him since he graduated college. That was 10 years ago. Holy cannoli! I barely even recognized him! Can you say jaw dropping hotness? I swear I must have gawked at him for like minutes when he came over to talk me. Of course if he was super hotness, I was like total hot mess. In my depressed state, I didn't notice that my liner migrated down the side of my face from wiping my eyes to keep my tears at bay. My hair was falling out of my "I'm a professional" pulled up bun hairstyle. And my lipstick had totally been wiped off. Miggy chose that moment to appear and point out the fact that I looked like something the cat dragged in. Looking like that in front of Miggy was bad enough but when he said it in front of Den, it was downright embarassing. All this time I'd been talking to him and I looked like hell. I introduced the two of them then left for the bathroom to fix myself. When I came out Miggy had disappeared. All Den said was apparently Miggy had another place to be. I tried calling him but he wasn't picking up. I can't believe he left me high and dry! Jerk! Good thing Den was there. He asked me to dinner and we caught up on each other's lives. He advised me to forget about Miggy. If only I was dating someone like him. Then there wouldn't be a need to date guys like Miggy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog entry

I just have to share what happened last night. As you all know it's a ritual to spend Friday night dinner with Alden. But because we've both been single for the longest time and in dire need of a love life, I tried to set up my friend Kris with him. The three of us were supposed to have dinner together but Kris canceled at the last minute. So it was just Alden and I as usual.

Maine stopped typing and reminisced about the dinner...

"My friend won't be able to make it. Sorry. I guess you're stuck with eating dinner with me again."

"I don't mind." Alden smiled at her, "I likel your company."

"Haha. Funny. How are we ever going to jumpstart our love lives if all we do is hang out with each other."

"I keep telling you I'm not looking for one."

"I honestly don't even know how you don't have a girlfriend. You're good looking, smart, sweet and a gentleman. Any girl would be happy to be swept off her feet by you."

"Would you?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"Didnt you wonder why after we met again 4 years ago, we ended up spending more time with each other?

"I figured we were rekindling our childhood friendship. You know because we have this special thing between the two of us."

"Exactly. We're awesome together. Don't you ever wonder why your relationships never worked out?"

"Sometimes, but I just chalk it up to being unlucky in love."

"Because I made sure they didn't. I always thought no one was good enough for you."

"But why would you do that?"

"Because I've loved you this whole time. I never told you because I wasn't sure how you felt."

"Oh Den, what if I told you I've loved you all along. I've just been waiting for you."

"Meng, Do you remember our pact about marrying each other if we don't end up with anyone."

"You don't turn 35 until next year. What are you trying to say Den?"

"I'm saying I don't think I can wait anymore."

So after all this time. It's finally us.