Day 21: The Proposal

April 6, 2016

RJ,

Right now, it's been more than a year since you met that wonderfully quirky, sometimes annoying, incredibly funny, often times pessimistic, always beautiful woman in your life.

I write this to remind you of all the ups and downs you've gone through just to get where you are. The walls that had to be torn down. The fights that ended up with us chasing after her at 2am in the morning. The on top of the world attitude we experienced when she finally said I love you. The almost heart attack when her period didn't come and the relief that followed when it did. You can laugh about that one now. The endless hugs and kisses shared between us and her. There's a lot more, but soon you'll be making new memories. I just wanted to remind you what it took to get here. To give you both strength to overcome what else life may end up throwing at you.

Today in my time, marks our 7th month anniversary. It doesn't sound like much now, but by the time you read this it'll probably be double, or maybe triple that.

Today in your time should be another cause for celebration. I know because the reason I wrote this letter, is for you to read it before you propose to her. Maine and I have only been a couple for a few months but I know deep down she's the one. She might not know it yet, but she's the only person I can see spending the rest of my...well our life with.

You reading this letter means you're ready. You have the ring, you've got the flowers you've chosen the place. You've made sure everything is perfect.

But before you even ask the question, remember to look at her.

Let her know that she is beautiful.

Let her know how much you cherish her.

Let her know that she has made you whole.

Let her know that she is the only one for you. 

Let her know that you will love her for the rest of your life.

You sweep her off her feet, then you fall on one knee, bring out the ring and wait for your forever.

If you forget to do all that, just give her this letter. She'll understand that you were too nervous to remember everything.

Congratulations self!

RJ

Maine finished reading the letter. "RJ, napaka OC mo talaga. You even wrote a letter to your future self on how to propose."

She dug out a letter from her bag, "Since I read yours, I should read you mine. I promised myself I'd read it to you when you finally pop the question."

Sept. 8, 2016

Dear Me, myself and I,

Today is two days after our first year anniversary. RJ and I...you...me...we, just had dinner as a late celebration for our milestone. Imagine my surprise when after dessert, he brought out a small box. I thought I was going to faint from my heart threatening to burst from my chest. I opened the box, trying hard to control my feelings, then I saw a pair of earrings!

I swear it was a struggle to control my (our) disappointment. Hahahaha.

I am writing this because I want you to remember the date that you finally realized that you were ready to spend the rest of your life with the man of your dreams.

It has not been the easiest road to get here. I...we've had our doubts and moments of insanity like that point where he was gone two whole weeks for work and I (we) wanted to call it quits. But we've overcome that. Happy moments, sad moments, they're the reasons why we've come to love him. From his merits, down to his faults.

I want you to remember to be patient, even if it isn't our strongest suit. To remember that he keeps a lot to himself, but we're the only ones he's opened up and shared with. To remember that it takes two to make a relationship work. To remember to let him know how much you love him each and everyday.

So now that we're ready, all we have to do is wait. Wait until he finally decides to ask the question. I know it's not that far off. I've seen a text message of his inquiring about a ring (totally accidental). We'll just be sitting pretty here until he does.

When he finally does ask you to marry him, after you give him a big resounding YES, read this letter to him. So he knows the exact day you gave yourself to him completely and how he probably wishes he proposed to you earlier.

Almost there!

Maine

Maine took a deep breath as she finished reading. "The perfect answer to your perfect proposal." 

The ring on her finger glinted in the sun as she lifted her hand and traced the numbers etched in marble on the tombstone. 1992-2017

"I miss you RJ." She cried as fresh tears ran down her face. "If only..."