Day 15: If

What if it started out differently? Would things be the way they should have been?

If things happened they way they should, Alden would never have become Alden Richards. He wouldn't be the actor/singer/host with multiple awards under his belt. He'd be RJ, just a guy who ended up following his dream and becoming a pilot.

If things happened the way they should, Maine would never have become known as Yaya Dub. She wouldn't be this phenomenal star. Instead, she would have been granted her desire to stay in New York. She'd have a job as a sous chef, working her way up to the chef position.

If things happened the way they should, this would be our story...

After a long haul flight from Manila to New York, Captain Faulkerson was looking for a place to eat near his hotel. He saw one across the street, half full. As he entered the establishment, he noticed the open kitchen concept they had and took a seat near it. Indulging in his lunch, he watched the chefs busy at work through the glass window.

One in particular caught his eye, a girl in a chef's hat and apron, talking animatedly to her colleague. He couldn't take his eyes off her. And during one particular expression, he found himself smiling at her antics. Sensing someone was watching, she looked up and saw him. Her eyes widened and she brought a plate up to cover her face as her friend teased her. She looked away as he chuckled and waved at her. Slightly embarassed, but not wanting to appear snobbish, she raised her hand near her face and gave him a small wave, complete with a shy smile. He was intrigued by her, but hesitated to make a move. She was all he could think of, even after he left New York.

Two weeks later, after landing in JFK airport, he headed straight to the restaurant. To his dismay, the place was packed and the only table he could get was the one furthest from the kitchen. The whole place looked busy as he craned his neck, catching a glimpse of her working. He needed to find a way to get her attention. He dug into his pocket and came up with a piece of paper and a pen. He wrote: Hi. Remember me? and asked a waiter to deliver it.

Maine was surprised at the note she received. A quick glance outside confirmed who it was from. She smiled to herself as she wrote him a response: Hello. I remember...your dimples. =)

That started a flurry of messages going back and forth. It started off friendly which eventually became peppered with sweetness. Then there were hints of flirtations until it slowly turned into longing. Every two weeks, he would appear in the dining area pouring out his feelings to her in written word. He would gaze at her beautiful face through the opening, hoping she would come out and talk to him. And every two weeks, she would answer those notes and sneak glances at his handsome form, counting the number of times his dimple would appear. Although she wanted to approach him, to start something with him, she wasn't sure she could handle the changes it might bring. She tried, unfortunately, everytime she finally worked up the courage to talk to him, he was already gone.

One day, he decided to take it a step further: It's been three months since we started this. Can we meet up?

And finally, after an agonizing wait, she wrote: Yes. See you in the middle of Central Park tomorrow. 4pm.

RJ was waiting at the beginning of the path. They had agreed to meet in the middle of Central Park mall. The walkway that runs from 66th to 72nd street. A place teaming with people. He nervously ran his fingers across the petals of the bouquet he was holding. He saw her figure in the distance and a smile crossed his lips. He started towards her, reminding himself to breathe every few steps, as his heart threatened to leap from his chest.

Maine glanced at her watch. It was almost time. She was looking up at the leaves, trying to calm her thoughts when she felt his presence. She took a deep breath and turned to look behind her. She saw him, making his way towards her, his dimple evident as he smiled widely at her. A gamut of emotions ran through her. She was giddy yet unsure. Scared yet ready. She exhaled slowly and waited for him.

He was counting the number of steps to reach her but when her face came into focus, his mind went blank and he lost track. It took all the strength he had to stop himself from running the rest of the way to her.

After what seemed like an eternity, the gap between them narrowed until they were finally standing in front of each other.

"Hi." She said softly. Her voice was music to his ears.

"Hi back." He said. His gentle tone slowly melting her fears.

"I've been waiting for this." He whispered.

"Would it be too cliché if I said the same?" She whispered back.

He laughed and she joined in, breaking any last bit of tension between them.

"So?" He said, "shall we?"

She nodded, "Let's."

He offered his arm and she hooked hers around it. Together, they walked under the canopy of elm trees, surrounded by people too busy to notice the beginnings of a romance unfolding in their midst.

Because this is the way things should have been...

About a boy and a girl whose love story would remain, for their eyes only.