Day 9: Maine to the Rescue

RJ stood nervously near the school entrance. He was waiting for her to come out. He had everything planned out since last week and it took all of his courage to see things through.

Today was the day he was going to tell Misha he liked her. Today was the day he was going to ask her out.

Maine watched the tall lanky boy a few feet to her left shift from foot to foot. The whole batch knew about his crush on Misha. He was that obvious. She could already tell what he planned to do and she felt a little sorry for him.

Misha came sashaying out the door. The most popular girl in school. The boys wanted to date her, the girls wanted to be her.

RJ approached her thrusting the huge bouquet of carnations towards her. "Here Misha! These are for you."

Misha stopped in her tracks and looked at him disdainfully. "No thanks."

"I-I want you to have them. I-I liiike you." RJ managed to say. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to go for ice cream?"

Misha laughed scornfully. "Ice cream? What are you? Five? No! I don't want to go for ice cream. In fact, I don't want to go anywhere with you. I'm the captain of the cheerleading team and the most popular girl in school. I don't date video game playing, drama geeks like you."

RJ hung his head and started retreating backwards.

"Hey Misha!" Maine suddenly appeared beside RJ. "You may be pretty but that doesn't give you any reason to treat other people like shit. Your attitude is hella ugly and that makes look ugly too. A few months from now, no ones gonna care that you were the most popular girl in high school. Remember that when your out dealing with the real world."

Maine turned to RJ, "Hey RJ, chin up. You don't deserve garbage like this, there's plenty of other girls who would be much better choices."

"Ugh! I never!" Misha haughtily turned her back to them and stalked away.

"Thank you." RJ looked at Maine and a small smile flashed across his face.

"No problem. Why don't we go get some ice cream so you can forget about her." Maine extended her hand out to him.

RJ looked at the girl who just stole his heart, "Forget about who?"