"I mean, who are you texting so much?" Cody picks up on little things.

"What do you mean? It's Jason, you two, Aaron, and the other guys." Has he been watching me?

"Okay then," they feel me putting up my walls. It's not like I'm doing this on purpose. It's just that they'd misunderstand. Alex is older, and they don't even know him. I get up and leave our table. "Guys, I'll talk to you later?"

"Em--"

"--it's fine." I sigh. I take my phone out and text Alex.

Hey Alex.

Hey.

You playing in the game against us tonight?

Yeah.

Get ready to lose :P

Right. I think you should be the one preparing for your loss ;)

Wanna bet? I love gambling. It's reckless and risky, but that's why I love it.

Gladly.

If you lose, you have to go out with me...I pause. Should I send it? What if he flat-out rejects it? Maybe I'm coming on too strong?

If I win, I'll buy you dinner after the game.

Wait, did he just type that? My eyes widen. I stare at the phone, not believing what I was reading. Was I reading too much into it? Perhaps he wants a simple dinner with me, as friends.

I think I was taking forever. He calls me instead. I automatically answer it out of habit.

"Uh, we can change the bet if you want." His voice sounded a little unsure.

"No, I'm fine with it." I say eagerly. I cringe. Too eager?

"Oh, great," he sighs out of relief.

"Is--" I gulp, "Is this a date?" I dare not hope.

The line goes silent. "I would like it to be..."

"Okay," I grow excited. "I'll see you tonight? You do know I'll be managing the team in the sidelines?"

"Yeah," I can hear him grinning. His tone suddenly grows serious. "Emmalyn, don't assume things tonight, alright?"

"What do you mean?" I was confused.

"Just," he sounds conflicted, "Don't believe everything you see or hear. Can you promise me that?"

"Sure, I'll try." I reassure. We end the call afterwards. I'm just so pumped to see him. I already see him on weekends though when we both work out at the gym.

"Why are you grinning like that? It's freaky." Jason pops out of nowhere behind me.

"GAH!" I instinctively turn around, swinging my arm as I turn. I stop my fist from punching his nose only one inch away, not that I needed to. He covered my fist already with his hand.

"Whoa there," Jason steps back. "Control yourself."

I glare. "You scared me."

"So..why were you smiling like a creepy ax murderer?"

"I was NOT!" I huffed.

"Right, and I'm the queen of England," he replies.

"I was excited for the game!" I lie. "Aren't you?"

"Yeah, I'll get back at Xannon this year." He smirks.

"Xannon? Who is he?"

"Remember the guy who gave me the concussion?" He glances at me. "The one I got in a fight with? The quarterback of Carriger?"