Chapter 5 - You're Not My Type

~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with the hugest grin on my face. Gee, if I could wake up every morning like that...

And the funny thing was, I didn't even know why I was smiling. Usually, I was a, quote, quote, "holy terror" once woken up. Mack's words, not mine.

After brushing my teeth and washing my face in front of the fogged up mirror that I'd gotten used to over the past week, I padded downstairs, rubbing my sleepy eyes. I saw the time on my little clock in the room; it was about nine o'clock in the morning, and that surprised me. I usually didn't make it out of bed until eleven or later. My record was two thirty in the afternoon.

There were only two people downstairs. I had kind of anticipated that; we had stayed up pretty late last night. I was just kind of dreading running into Gabriel, as stupid as that sounds.

He and his mom were sitting at the island counter, chatting quietly over some pancakes. The last step squeaked when I stepped on it and both mother and son turned around. Mrs. Fayne smiled at me. "Have a good night's sleep?"

I nodded shyly. "Yeah. I'm actually surprised I got up this early."

She laughed good naturedly. "Well, at least you can keep us company now." She gestured to the one extra stool beside Gabriel, who had been watching my every move since I made it to the ground floor. "Go on, sit. I'll fix up a plate of pancakes for you, how about that?"

"That'd be great, Mrs. Fayne, thank you," I replied, walking over to the stool. I made sure not to make eye contact with Gabriel.

"Oh, don't call me Mrs. Fayne," she said dismissively, pulling an extra plate from the cabinets. "Call me Linda. I've known you since you were a baby, so it's only fair," she winked. I was willing to bet that that was where Gabriel picked up his little winking thing.

I grinned. "Okay, Linda." I took a bite of the pancakes she set in front of me and almost groaned out loud. "This is so good!"

Linda raised an eyebrow at me, sweeping her eyes over my figure. "Honey, don't take this the wrong way...but are you wearing Gabe's shirt?"

I automatically snapped my eyes down to my outfit...that I'd forgotten to change out of. I heard a little pained moan come from my left side, quiet enough so that his mom wouldn't hear it. "Um..."

"I let her borrow it," Gabriel cut in. "She...couldn't find her pajamas." I almost snorted out loud. Yeah, right.

His mom nodded slowly. "Okay. I'll trust you on this one," she told us, but I could hear a tiny bit of doubt in her tone. "I'm just glad my son had decent enough manners to lend you something. You can look for your pajamas today; they could've gotten mixed up in your luggage," she suggested gently.

Gah, that was so embarrassing. I could only imagine what was running through her head, I mean, she was his mom! And she sees me wearing his shirt, only his shirt, down for breakfast. That must've screamed, 'I had sex with your son yesterday' all over it.

A loud screeching jolted me from my thoughts as Gabriel noisily pushed his stool back, dumped his plate and glass in the sink, and jogged back upstairs. Once again, without a single word of acknowledgement.

I spun right back around to face Mrs. Fayne. "I swear we didn't do anything, he really did just let me borrow it and-"

She laughed. "Okay, okay! I believe that coming out of your mouth...maybe not my son so much, but I'll trust you. If you'd like, I also won't mention this little misunderstanding to your parents."