147. Adventure, Inc.

Summer sat at her writing desk—she'd already come to think of it as her writing desk—and ran her fingers over the rough cloth cover of her journal. To her right the wall was covered in the swirling black sketches and colorful comic book fragments of Sushi's steampunk breakdown.

A faint knock sounded at the door. Summer hesitated, then rose and opened the door partway. As she'd feared, it was Alex.

"Yes?"

"I've got your pay from the job," he said, handing her a stack of bills. "$290. Really good work. Thanks for helping me on such short notice."

Summer shyly took the money, feeling desperate for him to make some mention of the kiss, whether good or bad. Even a rejection would be better than the uncertainty that was stretching her thin. She gave her dreadlocks a nervous shake.

"Thanks." She could not bring herself to look up at his face. A delicate pink blush rose in her cheeks. A vision flickered through her mind of Alex taking her in his arms and kissing her right there, properly, on purpose.

"You ok?" he asked softly.

She nodded and stepped back.

"Thanks." She risked a glance into his eyes and did her best to smile, then swung the door shut.

"Ridiculous," she muttered at her desk. The packet of money was pleasingly thick, and she began arranging the bills into pretty patterns alongside her journal. The sight of most of her month's share in cash right before her eyes began tugging her mind in a new direction. How was she planning to make the rest? More to the point, what was she going to do with the rare and brilliant chance she'd been given to live communally and chase what she loved?

"But what do I love?" she murmured. Kids, growing food, baking, long talks with good friends. Building relationships and strengthening her neighborhood. Adventures and travel and new experiences.

"Adventure, Inc."

It had slipped out of her without any thought, but it brought with it a sudden rush of images. A charter service for adventurers. People could sign up for an adventure, pay a small fee, and she'd arrange the transportation and the theme and the rules of the excursion.

She flipped open her journal and began jotting notes.

Adventure, Inc.

The Rules:

1. Be ready for anything.

2. During the expedition, your crew is your family. Take care of each other.

3. The Chief Adventurer has the final say.

4. Bring something to give away.

5. Adventure, Inc. accepts no responsibility if adventurers end up stranded in Omaha.

She giggled quietly as the idea warmed to life in her. She kept writing.