200. Boyfriend

Summer took a sip of her cocoa, wishing she could be across from Alex and next to him at the same time. Everything about him looked radiant now, transparent, and she wanted to explore all of him at once. She felt an immaculate ownership over his loose brown hair and the open collar of his shirt and especially his artful and elegant hand. She grabbed it.

Mine.

"I keep thinking I'm going to wake up," she said.

Alex smiled. "I'm pretty sure you're not dreaming. But I guess you'll have to wait and see to make sure. You can tell me in the morning."

A thrill ran through Summer at the thought of waking up with Alex. Immediately she was swamped in the question. Would she, if he asked?

Of course, idiot. You've wanted this for years.

"You're blushing," said Alex. She stared impishly into his eyes and gave a flirty shrug.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" she asked.

His eyelids dropped in that delightfully subtle smile he had when he was uncertain. He looked up at her, silent and happy and tired.

"You're beautiful, Summer."

The glow inside her grew almost unbearable. He continued.

"I have to say this up front. I'll want to take things a little slow."

She nodded, a thread of disappointment worming into her.

"Sure."

"Good. Tell me if you're ever uncomfortable with anything, and I'll do the same. We're friends, right?" There was a strange edge in his voice, like he was asking himself as well as her. "Let's be open from the very beginning."

"Sure," she nodded again. She squeezed his hand. "Just tell me. Any time."

"Good." Something in him relaxed and he smiled his first really joyful smile since he'd become her boyfriend. Her boyfriend. Joy welled up inside Summer until she leaned across the table to release it in a kiss on his lips.

---

Hi friends,

Thanks for reading this far! I love having you on the journey with me.

The story goes on, but unfortunately Wattpad appears to have a 200 part limit. Good news is...I have a publisher! The Dream World Collective is now available as an actual novel. You can learn more at clickworkspress.com/dwc.

If you want another story you can keep reading for free, check out Hubris Towers at clickworkspress.com/hts01e01. It's really funny and I'd love to share it with you. Feel free to get in touch any time! I love hearing from readers. I'm byfaroe everywhere.

Cheers,

Ben