Cheers were echoed, and our audience clapped in happiness. Chatters started, praises were given, and everyone was happy.

Splendid.

And fortunately, most of them had recognized Jace, son of the mayor and Midget Dreams' lead singer. He was popular from way back then, and his features hadn't changed that much, despite the years of no-show. So the next moment, everyone came over to his side, after giving me brief congratulatory pats on the back. And as soon as they huddled around him, I stood up on my feet and took several steps back.

"Are you okay, kiddo?" I heard one man ask, as he went to his side. Jace nodded in the most alluring way. After seeing that kind of reaction, I had decided to keep my words to myself instead. How in the world would I make everyone believe that he had faked the whole thing? All of them were dazed by his charms.

So the chances that they'd be convinced if I said that Jace was only pretending the whole time would be close to none. I closed my eyes and tried to calm down. I reminded myself that it was my job to save people, bogus plan or not. And after all, there was no harm done. I was just doing what I was supposed to do, even if I had to save someone who knew how to swim even better that I did.

Dusting off the sands from my knees, a woman in her mid-thirties complimented me, "You did a great job, Reese."

She was someone familiar, but I forgot her name. Well, I wasn't good with names to start with. Then, with a gleaming face, she added, "I'm so proud of you."

"No big. It's my job," I said, giving her a courteous nod. I felt mortified, as I remembered that I was dozing off a moment ago.

"Now I don't have to worry about my kids. They're all in good hands," she confidently said.

"I'll do what I can," I tried to sound reliable. From now on, I promised myself that I would pay close attention to everything, and that included people who were faking drowning.

And that thought brought me back to him. Oh, crap. He was back and met me first thing in the morning. In this small town, it was not a secret that I was one of the new lifeguards at Turtle Bay Beach. And how hard was it for him to ask his mom and dad what I was up to? I was certain that they were thoroughly informed by my own mother.

Then I noticed that the crowd was getting few in numbers. This wasn't a good idea. He was only a few steps away from me. And with more people leaving the area, the obstruction between us became less. And with that, the chances of us being left alone together were increasing. I needed to get out of here.

Fast.

I slowly sneaked out, trying to be inconspicuous, while Jace was preoccupied with people asking him how he was or if he was feeling well and such. Some chatted about his stay in Creeksburg, and asked how he was doing in college. But I had no intention of hearing the rest of his story. He was breathing and out of danger, so my job was practically done.

One. Two. Three.

I counted my steps, as I tried to get back to my lifeguard chair without talking any further to Jace. He was the last person I wanted to start a conversation with. And the greater the distance between us, the better chances I had to live a decent life this summer. The charisma he had before was still with him—shining and radiant.

It was a fact that everyone loved him. If we were not in bad terms, I might end up being one of those girls who were drooling over him. He was cute, nice, smart, and funny. He was close to being perfect, with those luscious sapphire eyes that defined the calmness of his soul, his dark brown medium length hair that was grown a little over the tips of the ears, and his angular face that was formed with impeccable flawlessness. What was there not to love?

icon lock

Show your support for Freesia Lockheart, and continue reading this story

by Freesia Lockheart
@crossroad
Jace Hamilton is Reese Burnett's sworn enemy, the culprit who made he...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 23 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @crossroad.