"Are ye feelin' well?"

"I'm fine, Ann. Really, don't worry about me," I say, smiling softly. She looks at me, shaking her head. Amazingly, we're the only ones in the kitchen. I've never been in here where there haven't been at least ten women skirting around each other, hands full.

"It's my job to worry about ye," she says, sweetly.

"I know."

"And I expected ye to be hurtin' after he left. But, this seems different... I dinna ken. I fear for ye, sometimes."

"Why do you fear for me?"

"I fear- that you'll never be happy. I fear that-that the laird will hurt ye again. I fear that you'll never see MacCallan again."

I shake my head, feeling like a branch has been wedged down my throat. "I won't see him again."

"He could still come- show up someday-"

"No, he can't."

She stares at me, and her eyebrows knead together. "Why?"

"Because... it's said he was already forced to surrender to the English days ago. He's- not coming back."

...

My swollen eyes find comfort in the darkness. Although I can't sleep, I feel better at night.

No one to bother me. No one to hide my emotions from.

It's been days. There has been word that the rebellion has failed. It failed before James ever set foot in Scotland, as I knew would happen.

It hits me like lightning that this is my first indication, other than my belief in her word, that what Greer has told me is true. That she truly does have the sight, as she calls it.

I think to her fortune on the night of the party, back when my life was simpler.

She pictures me, old and happy, a large family by my side.

I don't see that... I don't see how that could ever be possible.

...

She met me by the willow... She came. She walked through the grass towards me, illuminated by moonlight and mist. I pretended to have not seen her coming but I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was timid and nervous but glowing... glowing like the moon when it's full and dominant in the sky.

I took her in my arms tonight, a damned man, for she belongs to another. I dinnae care. I ache for her, day after day, night after night. Damn the consequences. I need to love her.

I do love her.

I turn the page, and a tear drops down, cascading over the black ink. Our minds are and always have been in sync, for every experience, every emotion I felt for him, he felt too. Each day, his words float, almost as if his spirit were risen. That changes when my eyes fall upon the last day we were together.

I feel as though my soul has been crushed, battered beyond means of repair. I've held a woman in my arms, loved her, cherished her body, worshipped her and now, she's gone.

I've left her with that demon of a man. The scum of the earth. The worst kind of person. She told me to go and I did. And now I'm sitting on the root of a tree, hating every fiber of my being.

Like an angel, she glowed beneath my body, shivering to my mere touch. I've never felt power like that. She gave herself to me, I felt it. Everything she had, every ounce of love she possessed. She made noises that will remain in my memory for life. I still hear them. I hope I never stop.

I should have taken her with me, damn the consequences! Damn what right and what is wrong! I should have told her to quit talking and get on the damn horse!

It doesn't matter now... Nothing matters now.

...

At the loud boom, I jump from my bed in a rush, gasping. I'm against the wall, staring at Greer, who's gripping the doorway with both hands, out of breath.

"Greer?"

"Aye. Aye, get your things."

"What?" I exclaim, gaping.

"Get dressed. We're going to meet Knox... I've seen him. He's but a mere couple miles away."

"Knox? Greer, it's night. How will we find our way?"

"I ken the way! Hurry! Faster!"

"I'm going!" I whisper, forcefully, as to keep the entire castle from waking. I grab my dress and step into the skirt, yelping when she grabs the back, rising it over my hips, tying the strings tight together. "What is the damn rush?"

"They're hurt- both of them!"

I look at her, feeling suddenly sick. "W-who is with him?"

"MacCallan."

A/N: Wasn't expecting him back this soon, were ya? ;) I really hope you guys are liking the story so far!!!!

P.S. Thank you for all the birthday wishes. Meant so much to me. xx