Chapter 5

"You were asking for me?" I murmur quietly, stepping into the open doorway of Symon's study. It's a small, intimidating kind of room- dark all around in color and decorum. He looks up from a weighty book, rubbing his eyes with a nod by his place at the window.

"Yes, come in. Close the door."

I do so, awkwardly and clear my throat. "Uh, what are you reading?"

"I'm studying Gaelic. Three weeks wasn't nearly enough time to know it as well as I should."

"I'm surprised you've gotten it down that fast."

He smiles softly. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"You are right about that."

Closing the book, he stands, towering over me easily. His eyes are dark, tired, his skin paler, probably from being inside all day, cooped up with the other important men of this clan. "How are you holding up?"

I'm surprised by his question. His voice is softer than usual. "Um, I'm doing fine."

"Is that the truth? Have people been treating you well?"

"Why do you say that?"

He rests his hand onto the desk and leans against it, pursing his lips. "I've heard people aren't exactly warming to you here. There's been speculation as to who you are- where you came from."

"I haven't heard it... At least, no more than usual. We expected there to be some for a while, right?"

"I expected speculation- but, um, many of the men are pushing for your departure home, as we told them was the reason for your stay here. Not to mention, the women. We made a mistake telling them it wouldn't be permanent."

"Why the women? Why? I haven't done anything to them!"

He licks his lips, smirking and my eyes grow wide. "Well, Gill, you're considered a rather- beautiful woman. I've watched man after man turn their heads to look at you when you walk by, whether or not their women are present- wouldn't you be upset an exotic, mysterious outsider was attracting attention from everyone, including your spouse?"

"Oh, stop it, Symon."

He closes his eyes. "How many times do I have to tell you..."

"Lachlan, I'm sorry," I mutter angrily, rolling my eyes, "They're just unsure of me. That's it."

"Yes, that is also a factor."

I shake my head in confusion. "How can they disregard me before even knowing me?"

"This is a different time than the one you're used to, Gillian."

"So, that's just it?"

"No, that's not it."

I continue on as if I hadn't heard him. "I mean, you're laird! They have to accept what you tell them!"

"Which is why we're going to marry."

My body stiffens at the words and I feel my mouth close tight in shock. "What?"

He crosses his arms, sighing. "It's the only way I can see them finally accepting your place here."

I look down, pressing my lips together. "What about Fiona?"

"What about her?"

With a cautious glance, I look at him. "It's common knowledge that you've made yourself available to her on more than one occasion since we got here... You're interested in her, aren't you?"