Chapter 2

"Wow, I never knew his cat was so horrible!" "Well, he can't take her back- it's his responsibility now." "Yes, Mother, except the last time I checked, you weren't my mother, so stop pretending to be." "Sheesh. I was just trying to help." 'besides, shouldn't you be arguing with your boyfriend or something?" "Dex is off God-knows-where, doing God-knows-what, and will probably get himself killed running his car through the red light one of these days." 

"I'll be sure to let him know you said that." "Said what?" "You said that Dex is too ruthless." "I said no such thing." " Yeah, well, you still implied it." You wouldn't dare; you wouldn't say anything!" " Oh yeah? Just watch me."

Soon, Somora would be working at the tattoo parlor, and Jake would be on a plane to California for his next speech. Shortly after Jake boarded his plane to Los Angeles, Dex was on his way to the local animal shelter. So what do a tattoo artist, a motivational speaker, and a shelter volunteer have in common? They're all friends. However, far away, Amint and Matalinis were watching all three of these young people.

From what seemed to be a sky in the clouds, Amint and Matalinis watched intently as three young people went their separate ways. "I'm telling you, Matalinis, I've never seen a more varied group in all my years." "Still, it is clear they have have been gifted with this awesome benefit." "It's more like an awesome responsibility. Are you sure you want to burden these youngsters' lives with your so-called gift?" "Yes...and Amint?" "What?" "You're going to help me."