I Discover That Humor Can Lighten Any Situation

"Okay, well. As you all know, Percy Jackson is missing. Three years ago, the Primordial god Pontus erased everyone's memory of him and replaced him with a replica. The real Percy tried to get us to believe him, but we didn't so he left. During this war, the fake Percy was a traitor. Once our memories came back, which I don't know why yet, the fake disappeared. The point of this is that we will be sending out search parties. We need him back. We need the real, Percy Jackson."

I teleported over next to Annabeth. "Someone say my name?"

All eyes were on me. "What do you mean? You're Sotirios. You told me once that you haven't been on Earth for eighteen years." Annabeth was confused, yet her eyes looked hopeful.

"Sorry to have tortured you guys like this, but it was the perfect opportunity. I said eighteen years, Chaos years. That is equivalent to three Earth years." I reached up and pulled off my hood. "Did you miss me?"

Silence. Everyone was in shock. I looked over at Thalia, Nico, Grover and Chiron, to see them shaking their heads in amusement.

"Percy!" The whole camp yelled and the cabin counselors tackled me to the ground. When they finally got up, Clarisse helping me up, I saw Daedalus with a camcorder in his hand. He was playing the clip over and over, my team laughing each time.

"Hey Clarisse, I thought you hated me." I commented, brushing off my clothes.

She snorted. "I do, Prissy. I just respect you now. Must've been hard coming back here to save us when you knew we wouldn't remember you."

I sighed. "It was." The campers steered me to the front of the campfire. Annabeth stood next to me, seemingly unable to move.

One camper blurted out, "How come we remember you now?"

"Because of Chaos. Three years ago, when I was still here after you all didn't remember me, Chaos appeared to me. We made a deal. He would restore your memories if I joined his team in at least a year. What he forgot to mention, was that you would remember in a time of need, so I left early."

"Why did we remember now? Why not earlier, during the war?" Another camper asked.

"Chaos also appeared to me earlier today. He is sort of dead, he has no powers, but he is immortal and will be acting like my mentor. Anyway, he said that you were in need of a role model. That you needed to know who your savior was. So, here I am. Now you remember."

"PERCY JACKSON! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" Annabeth regained her ability to function and I gulped.

She grabbed my hand to flip me over her back, but I had gotten better. Instead, I flipped her over my back.

"I just have a sense of humor. Come on." I needed to be alone with her for this. I glanced at my team and nodded, letting them know they're in charge. Before Annabeth could recover, I created a portal and we traveled to Chaos's palace-thing.

"What is this place?" Annabeth gasped as she got up. "It's amazing. The architecture. I could use it for Olympus. And--"

"Annabeth." She heard the seriousness in my tone. "I need you to understand. I can't stay on Earth with you. I'm Chaos. If I stay on Earth too long I'll become mortal. No one would take over as Chaos, and the world would be in chaos. I'm so sorry. I want to stay with you, but I can't."

Her face hardened and she turned away. "Please, don't cry. You'll make me cry. I can still be with you for tonight and tomorrow, but my team and I will be leaving the day after. I'm sorry." I stared at her back. "Annabeth," I said softly, "come here."

I wrapped her up into my arms and tried to comfort her. "You aren't my Seaweed Brain anymore. You're all grown up." She whispered into my chest.

"I know. So are you. But you'll always be my Wise Girl." I turned her faces towards mine and our lips locked. I had been needing this for eighteen years.

Slowly, she pulled away. "I'm sorry for three years ago. I should've believed you, I should've--"

"You can't change the past. You can only move forward. We have to keep going."

"Okay. Let's go. I can't hog you. The gods will probably reward you, and your parents will want to see you."

"Styx! I forgot about them!" Annabeth laughed.

"Then go see them. Sally first. I called her earlier, she's in hysterics. So is Paul."

I grimaced. "Yeah, wish me luck. Tell my team where I am, and that I'll get them when it's time to go to Olympus."

Before she could protest, I sent her back to Camp. I took a deep breath, ready to go home.

"That was a good thing for you to do." Chaos stood in front of me. "You did the right thing by doing that. I know it was hard."

"Thanks."

"I had to do it once, you know. Thousands of years ago, keep in mind. The time of the Greeks and Romans. I came to Earth once, fell in love with a mortal. We had a child. I still had to leave. I almost stayed long enough to become mortal. I gave just about the same speech you just gave Annabeth."

"Really? Did it turn out well, afterwards?" I wouldn't let go of my hope.

"Yes, actually. She was fine. Never got over me, but she found another man and lived happily. You never know though, you may end up with the one you love, if it is true."

I opened my mouth to ask what he meant, but he disappeared before I could. I sighed and took a deep breath, preparing myself to visit my mom.

I teleported to her front doorstep and composed myself. My hood was back up, because I wanted to surprise her. I knocked on her door and waited.

After a few minutes, the door creaked open and Paul Blowfish--sorry, Blofis--opened the door. "No visitors today, sorry." He tried to close the door but I stuck my foot in it before it did. "What do you want?" He looked worn out. "My step-son is missing and I am trying to comfort my wife. I don't have time for silly kids."

"I have information regarding Perseus Jackson." That caught his attention, and he opened the door wider. "May I please talk to Sally?"

He nodded and stepped back to let me in. He showed me into the living room, where my mother sat crying on the couch.

Paul laid a hand on her shoulder and she lifted her head. "Sally, he says he has information about Percy."

She glanced at me and sat up. "Please, whatever you know about him. Tell me."

"I know where he is."

"Oh, please. Tell me where. I need to apologize to him. I have to make sure he is okay!" Sally stood up and looked at me.

I looked her in the eye. "He's right here." I pulled off my hood and waited.

"Percy?"

"Yeah, Mom, it's me."