I Fall From A Tree And A Dead Friend Saves Me

"So, which Primordial are you now?" Luke asked.

I sighed. "You knew?" I never wanted to be a Primordial in the first place and now everyone knows I am, before I even told them.

Luke laughed. "Yep. We all got a private mission once, we all came back a Primordial. So, which are you?"

"Protogenos of all Waters, the Protector God of Pegasi, Horses and Birds, Father of the Seas and their Creatures. In other words, the new Pontus."

Luke nodded. "Nice. I'm Chronos. Both, the one I hosted and the other one. Makes sense, right? Yeah, I got my revenge. Beckendorf is Ophion, Silena is Ananke, Zoë is Physis, Bianca is Nyx, Nancy is Hemera, and Chaos said that Daedalus would become one, but in a different way."

I thought about that. They all fit the Primordial well. Then Bianca noticed the pouch.

"What's in there? And where's Blackjack." My eyes teared up. I opened the pouch and poured out the dust onto the table.

"I don't get it." Nancy crept closer, trying to see the dust. "It looks like monster dust, but why is it white?"

"Because it was a good monster!" I couldn't take it anymore. I ran to an empty couch and face-planted.

I heard gasps echo around the room. Silena's dainty hand fell on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Percy. I know you two were really close."

The rest of the team offered their condolences, but it didn't help. We left to go to the cemetery. There was a special cemetery here for all of the friends that fell in battle. We buried Blackjack's remains there.

Later, we were back in the lounge. "Hey, why don't you tell us why you actually left in the first place? Take your mind off Blackjack." Beckendorf proposed.

"I guess so." I propped myself up and the team assembled around me in story telling mode.

"Well, I went to sleep one night, everything as normal as a demigod's life could be. When I woke up, Annabeth's dagger was in my face. She said she didn't remember me. I left the cabin, and no one but Chiron and Grover remembered me. They remembered a Percy Jackson, just not me. So, I was talking to Chiron, trying to find out what happened, when Pontus appeared. He confessed to taking everyone's memories. Only Chiron, Grover, and Blackjack remembered me.

"So, everyone thought I was a weirdo. Annabeth said a few things that made me think she remembered me, but no. Then I had a creepy dream with Pontus and a dead Blackjack, and Chaos. We played Capture the Flag and I won for my team easily. Beating up Charisse in the process.

"Then I met the 'real me.' This one was blonde and had brown eyes, but otherwise he looked exactly like me. He was all cocky and didn't act like me at all. He challenged me to a duel, thinking he could beat me. Long story short, I kicked his butt. Even though he fought exactly like me, it was easy, because he was over-confident and had no defense. Then I went back to my cabin and said something like 'this is chaos!' and Chaos showed up.

"He told me he would fix their memories if I became the commander of his team in a year. He also gave me a necklace that would bring me to him if I wanted to leave earlier. What he failed to mention was that their memories wouldn't be fixed until they were in a time of great need, so I left right away once I figured that out. You know what happened after that."

Every mouth was open. "That is bad luck." Daedalus finally spoke. I just nodded.

"So, then I met Pontus. He told me why he had erased their memories in the first place, which was because he was jealous. My dad took his place, so he wanted me to suffer since he couldn't do anything to my dad. He killed Blackjack as punishment to me, and yeah. Then I killed him, and now we're here."

"I know what will cheer you up!" Zoë exclaimed. "Capture the Flag."

I smirked.

I know what you're thinking. Capture the Flag is Camp Half Blood's thing, you hate that place, blah, blah, blah. I sound like Mr. D, and that's not a good sign.

Anyway, we all loved Capture the Flag, so we jazzed it up. There is technically maiming even though we're all invulnerable now, and there is obviously no killing, and we can use any powers we want. Basically any rules Camp Half-Blood had, but better. Oh, only one guard too. It's awesome.

Usually it's girls vs. boys. Today, the teams were picked randomly. My team ended up being Nancy, Beckendorf, Zoë, and myself. The other team consisted of Silena, Bianca, Luke, and Daedalus. The forest had been constructed to look like Camp Half-Blood, down to every branch and blade of grass.

My team hid our flag in the creek. I put it underwater and manipulated the water so that only my team could go in the water. There are ways for the other team to get it, so it's allowed. I left Beckendorf to guard it. Nancy, Zoë and I would surround the other team's flag. They would distract the guard while I would grab the flag and run.

Using Mystiokinesis, I created a fake flag which I put in a tree. I created a replica of Beckendorf to guard it and fool the other team, while he protected the real flag.

Soon after we were ready, the invisible voice announced that the game had started. Nancy, Zoë and I took off. They would stay on the ground while I would climb a tree to see where the flag was.

I found a tall tree and jumped up onto the lowest branch. As I climbed, I kept a lookout for the other team. And tried to ignore the giant hole in my chest.

I saw their flag in a tree similar to ours and signaled to Nancy and Zoë where it was. They ran towards it while I had fun and swung from tree to tree.

Their flag was in my direct sight. I saw Nancy and Zoë go on either side to surround it. I slowly made my way to the last remaining side. Daedalus was their guard, but I had a feeling they had something else.

Just as I was lowering myself branch by branch, I heard a whoosh. An arrow collided with my shoulder and shattered as it bounced off of my iron skin, while pushing me off balance. That's what their something else was.

Bianca.

I cried out and toppled from the tree. I heard Nancy and Zoë shriek between the sound of the air whistling past my ears. In the heat of the moment, I couldn't think quickly enough to figure out something that would keep me from getting hurt. Instead, I angled my body so I could try to roll and absorb some of the impact.

Just before I would have hit the ground, something grabbed onto my shirt collar. It felt almost like teeth, just like earlier when Blackjack caught me. But I knew it couldn't be, he was gone. He couldn't come back.

Glad to see you believe in me. Did you really think it would be that easy for me to die, boss?

Apparently he wasn't gone. My feet lightly touched the ground and I turned around. There he was. Chaos brought him back. Being his dramatic and showy self, Chaos had made sure I would see him unexpectedly. He planned this with Bianca.

Standing in front of me, was Blackjack.