I Get Into An Awkward Conversation

"Aw, come on! I can never catch a break." I sighed and tensed my legs, ready to jump. I let go and sprang forward, shaking the ground when I landed in the middle of the battlefield. I drew Riptide and charged into battle.

Campers and Hunters surrounded me, each working their hardest to drive away the enemy. Whenever one fell, I would whisk them away to the infirmary where the healers were waiting. Silena had taken a break from fighting to use her powers to help them heal. With her, anyone wounded was healed in seconds and back to fighting.

The rest of us fought any monster in our way and focused on the Primordials. Each of us easily took out one Primordial. Nemesis, Uranus, Eros, Hydros, Moros, Momus, and Philotes were banished to the Void quickly. I found myself battling next to Nancy many times.

Since I was still learning to control my powers, I used them accidently a lot. Just when I threw a jar of Greek fire at a large clump of monsters, my telekinesis butted in and interfered. The jar was on a straight course towards the monsters, when it swerved and changed direction and headed for a clump of Hunters in the trees. Of course, what I had been thinking at the time was, I really hope I don't miss and that jar of very dangerous Greek fire doesn't hurt the Hunters in the trees there. Good job Percy, good job.

I cursed in Greek and created a portal to swallow the fire before it could do any harm to them. I conjured another jar and focused before throwing it at the monsters. This time, it worked and the monsters burst into flames.

I made mistakes with my new powers a lot more, and lot bigger than that. While fighting a particularly large and dedicated hellhound, I sent a large bolt of energy in the direction I thought was a group of empousa trying to sneak up on me, when in reality it was my team.

Beckendorf flung himself into the team, pushing them to the ground and out of harm's way. "Di immortales! Styx! Sotirios? What the Hades? You could've killed us!" Luke swore in Greek.

"My bad! I'm still getting use to these." I yelled back and turned back to the fight.

Soon, there were only four Primordials and the rest of the monster army left. Luke and Daedalus took Geras, Bianca and Zoë took Eris, Beckendorf and Silena fought Phanes, and Nancy and I teamed up against Apate. The rest of them easily beat theirs while Nancy and I seemed to have the smartest one.

Apate was deceitful, hence being the goddess of deceit. She used the Mist to her advantage, throwing surprises at us at every turn. She created a miniature maze to isolate us from the rest of the fighting. I thought I was running to help Nancy, but I realized in time that Apate had brought a Cyclops into the maze.

It took some time, but we finally managed to corner her. There, Nancy blocked while I pulled out Oblivion and stabbed it down into her heel. Her essence flowed into the sword and she was sent to the Void.

I sheathed Oblivion. It wouldn't be needed for a while. I could easily fight the monsters with Anaklusmos. The Primordials had been beaten.

It took a while, but we were slowly driving back the enemy. They would need to leave for reinforcements soon, which would give us time to recover and strengthen the borders.

As I was driving the last group of dracaenae back into the waiting portal, I ordered my team to bring everyone into the infirmary to be treated. Word had traveled that Apollo was there helping the wounded as much as he could.

My team gathered the Campers and Hunters and left. Nancy stayed behind to help me with the dracaenae.

I whirled around and blocked a strike from an incoming monster. The dracaenae hissed at me in annoyance and thrust her dagger forward, trying to harm me in any way. I saw it coming and twisted her arm back and slashed Riptide across her stomach.

She wailed and disintegrated, but one of her brethren took her chance when I was distracted. She lifted her weighted net and tossed it at Nancy, catching her off guard and entangling her. She flung her arms around trying to get it off, but the dracaenae drew her spear and swung. The tip of the spear pierced the side of Nancy's torso and she cried out.

She fell to her knees, clutching her side. Somehow, the dracaenae had hit her Achilles's heel. I screamed and the remaining dracaenae burst into dust. I ran over to Nancy and knelt next to her. "Luke! Beckendorf! Silena! Daedalus! Zoë! Bianca! Get over here, now!" They sprinted back up the hill, worry etched on their faces. My tone of voice was not a good one.

Silena gasped when she saw Nancy. She knelt on the other side of her and stroked Nancy's hair. We all knew there was nothing we could do to help her.

"Nancy. I'm so sorry. I was distracted. I could've saved you, and I didn't. I wasn't paying attention, I'm so sorry."

She reached up. "Don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. That scum just had a lucky hit." She coughed up blood. The spear must've have hit a vital organ.

"It's okay. I'll be in peace. Just send Hemera to the Void. Don't let her go free." Nancy smiled. No camper was in sight. Just us.

"Percy, do you think we ever could've been more than friends?" She asked.

"Gee." I scratched the back of my neck. "There is a possibility that we could've gone further, I think. The past is the past."

She grinned and looked up at me. "Win this thing." She used her last breath to say. Yet lose a friend.

"I will." I knew she couldn't hear me. I closed her eyes and Silena kissed her forehead. I sent her body to the cemetery and we walked back to the infirmary. Campers and Hunters thanked us once again, but we still ignored them. We had lost two people in almost 2 days.

A few people, such as Chiron and Grover, noticed the lack of one of our team members and offered their condolences. Bianca thanked them but we stared straight ahead.

We reached the infirmary and as I looked over the strew of bodies all over the beds and floor, I knew. I knew that this would have to end soon. This war could not last any longer. It needed to end, today.