People Should Stop Wearing Black Clothes!

"Okay. Let's get this straight. You have a feud with your principal, with the son of the mayor of the town, with the mayor of the town and you hate half the kids in your school?" Ethan asked me, playing with his ice-cream as looked at me from across the table at Little Hearts.

"Yeah," I said, scooping the last of my choco-chip-cookie ice-cream into my mouth before grabbing his mint-chocolate and claiming it as mine.

He frowned. "That's mine."

I rolled my eyes, shovelling more ice-cream into my mouth happily. "And now it's mine. Crazy how things change so quickly, isn't it?"

For some reason, his grey eyes lit up and he smiled as though he had a secret joke in his mind. "Yes," he agreed, "it is."

I couldn't help it. He had beautiful eyes. And I found myself looking into them like a weirdo who doesn't know what eyes are. Grey, like a storm. They were so expressive. I could read every emotion in those them. And when he was happy, they sparkled beautifully - just like they did now.

It wasn't long before my staring became creepy and my face turned a deep red.

I went back to eating my - his - ice-cream, my eyes on the table. Stupid.

"How did your practice go?" he asked finally, breaking the sudden silence.

"Not bad, I guess." I braved a glance at his face. When I didn't burst into flames, I kept talking. "Mayor Watson is such a dick, isn't he?"

He nodded, suddenly looking away. "Yeah."

"And his son," I added. "Do you think it runs in the family? Being mean?"

"What?" he said, with a little rough edge to his voice.

I frowned, studying the last bit of ice-cream left in the cup. "I don't know. It's just that . . . the son's a terrible person, the father's even worse, and the mother's a slut."

He coughed loudly.

"You okay?" I asked.

He shook his head. "A . . . slut?" His face had turned a pale white.

"Yeah." I shrugged, staring at the empty cup, wondering if eating more ice-cream would be a smart thing to do. "I'm pretty sure she she screws around with Chalk, the principal, on regular basis."

He looked ready to vomit. "And how do you know this strange bit of information?" He sounded like he was choking.

Before I could answer, I heard a voice that made my blood run cold.

"Em! You're here! I can't believe this is happening."

Screw my life.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and then turned around to face Sarah. "Hey Sarah . . . " I trailed off as my eyes fell on her companions. Specifically, her newest boyfriend and Aiden McCarthy.

To be more specific, I didn't really care about Sarah's boyfriend. Although he really was a freight to look at: a tall, thin guy with matted hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in years, at least five piercings only on his face, a huge silver-coloured chain that hung-off his incredibly slim neck, and huge sunglasses even though there was a roof over us. Honestly, I didn't understand how Sarah found these people. And I hung out with a drug-addict on daily basis.

But I wasn't really worried about him. Oh no, what actually worried me was the look of recognition on Aiden's face when his eyes fell on Ethan. "Hey, man," he said, walking over to us with a smile on his face. Once he reached us, he pulled Ethan up, shook his hand, and hugged him in an obviously friendly way.