How to Deal with Douchebags

The next day, I was sad. Not only because my rest period had ended and it was time to hand over my fate to Horry, but also because Ethan wouldn't be picking me up anymore. Who wouldn't be sad when they couldn't get free rides all over the town instead of having to walk?

Are you sure that's the reason you want Ethan to drive you? I ignored the irrational thoughts and forced my butt out of the bed to get started on the day. My clothes were, as usual, messily scattered throughout the room, and I had to walk around the room, eyes half-shut, stumbling into tables and the bed as I got ready. By the time I had everything I needed, my phone showed six-thirty-five.

I hadn't even stepped out of the house, and I was already five minutes late. Great. Yawning, I dragged my legs down the stairs and out of the house.

It was a cold day, so I pulled Jack (the jacket) closer to my body and headed towards school. Just as I was about to round a corner, out of habit, I turned around to glance at the spot where Ethan waited everyday to pick me up. I blinked. Then I blinked again, trying to clear the sleep out of my eyes. Because, standing there, in all its glory, was the black car with dust covering its hood, and the only person who could park a car that terribly was Ethan.

Right after making sure I wasn't hallucinating, I ran towards the car. And sure enough, there was Mr Grumpy, his face against the steering wheel and eyes closed, sleeping almost peacefully. Forcing down a laugh, I rapped on the window sharply to wake him up.

He sat up in a jerk, eyes wide as he took in his surroundings. I giggled at the surprised expression on his face. He rubbed his eyes groggily and opened the door for me and jumped out.

"Sleeping on the job, are you, Mr Grumpy?' I asked him teasingly, attempting to put on a posh British accent to sound authoritative, and failing miserably.

He yawned and continued rubbing his eyes, which seemed to refuse to open fully. "I've been waiting here for twenty minutes." He yawned again. "And fell asleep" - another yawn - "you're going to get into trouble with Horry. Get in." He reached backwards to get into the car, but ended up hitting his hand to the car's door. Poor guy was so out that he didn't even wince.

I smiled, genuinely warmed by what he was doing for me. I made a mental note to get him coffee the next time. "Actually, I think you should get in. I'll drive."

When he didn't react to what I said, I took him by the arm firmly and dragged him to his seat before sitting at the steering wheel.

"Should I be worried?" he asked me when he realized what was happening.

I rolled my eyes. "Trust me, if you aren't worried while you're driving, there's nothing to worry about when I'm driving." With that, I wore my seatbelt, and started the car with an evil grin on my face.

It wasn't even a minute into the drive that Ethan was yelling his head off about something, but I couldn't hear him over the wind. Although I had a pretty good guess it had something to do with my speed. I drove in and out of lanes without letting off on the gas pedal even at the turns, leaving everything in dust, driving over the speed limit in an attempt to reach school faster - and to scare Ethan out of his mind. I didn't slow down until we came across a stoplight.

"What the hell are you doing!" Ethan yelled at me, all the sleepiness gone, eyes wide. Hair more disheveled than usual, his face turning red, and his hands clinging to the seat belt.

I grinned. "Driving."

"I know that!" he snapped. "Are you also trying to get us killed?"

"No. Just trying to get us there on time and wake you up," I said. "It's working, isn't it?"