The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Crappy Mood

The chair didn't budge. My wild laughter died in my throat as Ethan turned around to face me, his expression was much louder than any words.

What the fuck do you think you're doing?

I tugged at the chair again with everything I had. Why the hell wasn't it moving? It was a chair, chairs were supposed to move and a task like moving a chair from under anyone's butt should be easy as pie to a boxer like me. For fuck's sake I spent three days a week pushing and pulling weights like an ox, this should be relatively easy.

Ethan continued staring at me uncomprehendingly, the slight irritation on his face slowly reducing my agitation for the unmoving chair.

At least he was irritated.

We looked at each other, I waited for him to say something, possibly something that included curse words.

Nothing came out of his mouth, in fact, now that I noticed it, his mouth- no his cheeks looked puffed up and out of proportion.

Before I could ask him why he looked like a blowfish and possibly have him blow me up for that, someone from a little inside the cafe spoke.

" Hey, you guys ok?"

Both of us looked up in perfect synchronization and nodded at the girl sitting alone at a table with a coffee in front of her.

She raised her eyebrows at both of us, although her bright, caffeine-high eyes were on Ethan's face. Either she was staring at his beauty or she found his blowfishness (is that a word?) intriguing.

My common sense told me it was the latter.

I mentally thanked lady luck for my hyena laugh going unnoticed.

The women didn't seem convinced, so I smiled at her and nodded. "Yeah, we're good".
My mom always said I had a charming smile.

Still looking a little worried but probably deciding it would be rude to press us with her questions, she looked away pointedly.

I straightened up and tapped Ethan smatly on the back.

He turned back around to give me the full benefit of his blowfish face. It looked bigger than it did before, even his eyes were bulging.

Interesting. Was he going to blow up now?

He fortunately didn't blow-up, instead he opened his mouth and coughed out smoke, right into my face.

As the disgusting, noxious gas filled the air around me, I stepped back, waving my hands in front of my face and coughing as some smoke got into my nose.

" Sorry". Ethan coughed. " I was trying to hold it in but-" He couldn't go on as huge fit of coughs caught up with him.

We were too busy coughing to speak for a few moment.

" I was trying to hold it in but you startled me. Sorry". He said ever so politely, his eyes slightly watery from the smoke.

My eyes fell on the still-lit cigarette in his hand and I shook my head. "It's alright, I was planning to pull the chair from under and throw you on your butt anyway''.

My confession went unnoticed, his eyes followed mine all the way down to his smoke and he pursed his lips.

Clearing his throat, he said, " I'll be right back, give me a moment".

He walked out of the cafe so fast, someone would think I was burning him with my presence.

That someone was the only other person in the cafe, the girl who was getting high on caffeine.