The Vacuum In My Stomach

After I'd exhausted the topic of Ethan and McDonalds for an hour by cracking multiple puns and jokes on it and making Ethan want to murder me, we found ourselves inside the movie theatre. It was unsurprisingly crowded with people of all types - the nerds who read the book and came to criticize the movie, the fans of the movies who didn't have the time to read the book and wanted to watch the movie, teenaged girls who loved Jennifer Lawrence for tripping on the stage and not being embarrassed by it, couples who couldn't get a compromise between having an action movie night and a romance movie night and decided to go for a movie that had both, unwilling dads forced to come with their overenthusiastic kids, thirteen year olds on their first dates, and that one annoying baby who was going to constantly wail and shriek whenever the movie became serious - and me with a drug-addict.

What a fun and diverse gathering.

Ethan had a bored look on his face when the movie started, so I obviously decided to take it upon myself to relieve him from the boredom.

Tapping his hand, I said, "Do you know the story?"

"No."

"But you know about it."

He shrugged, letting his eyes glaze over the screen and land on me. "Who doesn't?"

"Why are you not excited?"

He looked back at the screen, "Because I'm not a little kid like you."

I wanted to argue with him on his insistence to keep calling me a 'kid', but then the movie had just started, and I didn't see the point in wasting my time on his ignorance while I could spend it watching the epic beginning of an epic movie.

Unfortunately, it was only the beginning which was epic. Fifteen minutes into the movie, I was cursing the director of the abomination he called Mockinjay-part two. Being one of the nerds who actually read the book, I knew exactly what happened in the story, from the start to the end, and I also knew exactly how the events should play out, but from watching the movie, it was blithely obvious that the director had done some serious improvisation. Why couldn't he stick to the script and follow the genius of Suzanne Collins' story like a good human being? The entire thing was completely messed up, with everyone looking out of place in their roles, and the importance of the situations being diluted by ridiculous music.

Needless to say, I wasn't enjoying the movie as much as I'd hoped to.

"This sucks," I muttered quietly, watching Katniss make another exaggerated movement as she pulled at her bowstring.

"I thought you desperately wanted to watch this," he said, sounding somewhat annoyed.

"Yeah, well, I didn't think it would suck this bad." I shrugged

"So we can leave now?" He asked hopefully.

I grinned, "No."

He huffed and slumped on his seat.

Still keeping my eyes on the screen, I grabbed a handful of popcorn and stuffed it in my mouth before gulping down some coke. I ended up finishing my popcorn half an hour through the movie, so I just stole Ethan's.

He didn't protest, but said, "You eat a lot."

I shrugged, still dumping popcorn into my mouth. This was the only day I'd be allowed to eat any junk food - even if it was in 'limited quantity', as my mother said - without having to hide it from her. I was going to make the best of the day, not that I'd even stopped eating junk on my mother's account, but it felt good to do it without hiding it from her.