12 - ariella

A R I E L L A

King is like an ever present shadow as I walk the halls of the school with Brea at my side after morning tea, his stare practically boring a brand into my neck.

I turn to stare over my shoulder, raising a brow at my self appointed warden, fire in my eyes as I stare at him.

"Are you going to follow me everywhere?"

His lip quirks up at the side, dark eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Not everywhere." He murmurs through his grin, "I can't follow you to the toilet but I'll be sure to stand guard outside."

I scoff, ripping my stare away from his, even as it takes effort.

Brea snorts beside me, her dark brows rising as she stare at me. "A little annoyed are we?"

My glare turns to her, "he's your friend, tell him to get off my back."

"I can't do that."

"Can't or won't?" I hiss, getting increasingly more annoyed the closer we get to the classroom with king still trailing behind.

I spin to him, "are you seriously going to follow me all the way to class? Can't you go stalk someone else."

Brea laughs, her snort drawing my attention for the slightest of seconds before King clears his throat, the action sounding painful.

"Evidently, I can only stalk you, Ariella."

I narrow my eyes at his tone, sure he's joking but there's no humour in his eyes, just honesty.

"Whatever." I turn away from the two of them and push the classroom door open, stomping through the seats until I find the perfect one.

With a person at every seat surrounding it, it's the perfect place for me to sit, in peace and in solitude.

My smile is all smug as I turn back to King, taunting him with my eyes. "Guess you have to find somewhere else to sit."

His brows rise, gaze darkening wth challenge before he looks to the student at my left.

He doesn't even have to say anything and the girl is collecting her stuff and moving away, finding a seat further away in silence.

"Seriously?" I mutter, rolling my eyes.

King doesn't say anything, just takes the seat at my left and relaxes back into it, without a care in the world.

I squeeze my fist before getting my stuff ready, retrieving my book and ignoring the boy at my side.

Which is in vain since he leans closer and starts talking.

"Why did you need the wolfsbane?"

My brow furrows, "wolfsbane?" I turn to him with a quizzical brow, "what's that?"

He leans back, brow furrowed. "That flower you broke into my house to steal."

"I didn't steal it."

"Only cause you got caught."

I roll my eyes, a move I'm becoming familiar with today. I ignore his words and turn back to the front as I say the name I know the flower by, "Monkshood."

"It has a few names." King utters. "That still doesn't answer the question though."

I turn my head to him as the door to the classroom is opened, and I can faintly make out the name of a student being introduced.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Because you seemed desperate enough for it to break into a place you knew nothing about."