17

Francis

"Your Highness" he greeted as he approached my chambers. One of the guards who I'm not exactly sure I know. 

"The Junior archers await your presence my Lord" He added. 

"Oh" I said as I closed the book I was reading

My interest with this new position I had now achieved was gone. It seems really difficult to please my Father. I needed Him to see why I should be the next King. Truly the throne is mine and no one can take it from me, yet I felt unsatisfied. The boredom and indifference He always had on his face like there was nothing in the palace that held his interest. I would rather prefer be fatherless than live everyday like this. It wasn't worth it. I will never please him. 

"sire" he called

I dropped my thoughts realizing that I was taking too much time to prepare. 

"Go ahead and get them ready. I would join soon" I said as I entered into the inner room to prepare. 

Noah

I became impatient as Caleb took time to arrive at our regular meet up point. The local inn. It was full today, I believe there were more foreigners in town today and mostly merchants. 

I chugged down my beer as I waited. 

"what's up" He said as he sat across me. 

"Were you being dressed up for?" I asked irritated at how long he took. 

"The ladies couldn't just let go of all these awesomeness" he wínked

"Asshole" I rolled my eyes "My mother, she accepted." I changed the topic quickly

"So we can become soldiers?" He smiled and I nodded. "Sweet. When do you think recruiting would commence?" he asked

"I don't know" I frowned, realizing I had not paid attention to any supposed date. 

"But I hear of a contest that would come up soon. It would be an opportunity for us. Don't you think?" he added

"Of course. That's it. We'd join the contest." I smiled. 

Alex

The flowers in the garden and how smooth they were brought to my awareness how long I had been inside. I missed the outside. The fear I had, I was ready to face it. I am ready to make things right. How things ought to have been I am willing to put them back. 

"Putting out a contest is a very surprising act from a King that has been silent for so long" Clint chuckled "Are you sure about this?" He asked

I faced him with a face of satisfaction. "I am more than sure about this. It's about time we recruit new soldiers, don't you think?" I said 

"Are you doing this for Noah?" He asked

My heartbeat increased suddenly as he mentioned His name. 

"I don't even know how he looks like" sadness clouded my face. 

"He's a fine young man. You wouldn't miss it when you see him. He looks just like you" Clint said 

The warmth I felt in my heart made me draw close to Clint and hugged him. He has indeed been a good friend to me. All those years, consistently been watching over Mia and Noah. I couldn't be more grateful. 

"Thank you" I said as I patted his back. 

He said nothing but I could feel satisfaction. 

***

"Father" Francis called as He walked into my study room. 

The room has somehow became part of me. My own place where I find tranquil. 

"Yes Son" I acknowledged His presence. 

"Why would décide to have a contest as a way to recruit soldiers?" he asked

"Well I decided to try something different this time. Aferall it's my régime." I said shortly. 

"You won't get good soldiers from this" He concluded. 

"how so?" I asked curiously. 

"It's no game being a soldier" He said. 

"I appreciate your opinion Son but this is what I chose to do. When you become King, you can do it your own way" I sighed. 

Silence spoke between us and He left without any further word said. I didn't like the tension between Francis and I but it seems as though nothing could be done about it. We were different people and we just couldn't match no matter how much I tried reason through it.