2

MIA

The sun was rising and I needed to get out early to start harvesting so that by midday I could sell all I've harvested at the market. My mother, still fast asleep I prepared her breakfast and placed it by her bed-side. I headed outside to begin harvest. With my gloves on I gently removed the tender fresh vegetables. I loved farm crops and their natural look when born from the ground. Their freshness is the reason why I never give up on them. After the harvest, I had little time to prepare the firewood for the evening. I took the axe from the back and felt its weight on my hand. The wood on the handle was splintering slightly and the wicked piece of metal was beginning to detach itself. Its weight alone made chopping the logs a challenge, but I was determined to cut them for the fire.

"Mia?" My mother called groggily from behind

"What are you doing outside mother? You should be resting. Have you had your breakfast? I put it by your bedside" I said panting.

The axe is really heavy.

The noise of the axe slamming onto the wood must have woken her up.

She was quiet and just watched me with the axe in my hand and the almost chopped wood by my side.

"Oh Mia, isn't this too much? I mean you barely have time for yourself" she said as her old woolen coat fell to her side slightly

"Mother, I have to do it. It's just me and you." I said. "And I can't have you do anything" I added "I promised Father to take care of you. I don't regret anything. As long as you're fine. I'm okay" I smiled.

As I mentioned Father, I could see faint tears on her eyes. She missed him. We all do. Surprisingly, she didn't raise the 'husband' issue and silently returned inside. I smiled and chopped a few more logs.

After wood chopping, I had breakfast and got Taffy ready to go to the market. It was going to be a long day today. Having all vegetables tightly handled in the burlap sack. I put it in the crate behind Taffy.

"You'll be alright?" My mother asked worriedly.

"I'll be fine mother" I smiled as I lifted myself unto Taffy's back.

I was never really comfortable leaving mother at home but I had to make money. So I have no other choice but to.

Now ready to leave, I made my way towards the derelict dirt trail that followed toward the center of the kingdom; the village square. After the ten mile ride to the market. I unpacked my market stall from the crate behind Taffy. As I pulled the burlap sack from the crate, it made creaking noises. The crate was old and worn out but still manageable. We couldn't afford anything new these days. But hopefully as I make more money, I'll be able to buy a new crate and also get mother new things too. Finally, I got the sack down from the crate and arranged them on my table ready to be sold.

Sometimes as I sold, the palace guards would march through the terracotta courtyard. I just loved seeing their impenetrable armor glisten in the afternoon sun as they marched in perfect unison.

ALEX

"We're going to regret this" Clint warned for what felt like the 50th time.

After a while, I learned to ignore his badgering.

I got dressed in my disguise attire. I remember how I got this. I had to cry to Cornelius to get me one each time he went outside the palace. We had to make sure Father knew nothing about it. It was a tough one.

We're outside the palace and Clint's jittering attitude is all gone now. I wonder why he's not used to sneaking out by now. We made our way to the courtyard in the center of the market place since it was closer to the palace. Our attires were loosely fitting breeches made of an uncomfortable brown yarn like fabric, with murky colored cloaks covering most of our upper bodies.