Chapter 9: Reyna

Start bij het begin

            But she was terrified, and there was no way out of this fight.

            The first gryphon screeched, and tucked in its wings and dove. Reyna gave a battle cry, something she often did on the battlefield, and easily sliced her sword through the gryphon’s body. Dust from the monster poured down on her, covering her hair and getting into her mouth, but she ignored it. She clenched her fists and ran to meet more monsters.

            Coach Hedge seemed to be doing alright. He was surrounded by monsters, but he roared, “Die!” His baseball bat must have been made out of Imperial gold or Celestial bronze, because the bat easily crushed the monsters into dust.

            As the first venti began racing down towards Reyna, she slightly panicked. She hadn’t fought an air spirit in what seemed like years. In reality, it had been a few months.

            Easy, Reyna, she thought. Just remember what Jason taught you.

            Jason, being the son of Jupiter, had taught her long ago how to properly kill a venti. When you sliced through them, you had to hold your breath. If you didn’t hold your breath, the air would be sucked from your lungs. The air would be sucked from your body so fast that you would pass out.

            Reyna ducked as an air spirit shot right over her head. She popped back up, slicing through a venti that was in the shape of a horse. Her ears popped as the air exploded around her. She was holding her breath, so she only got a little light-headed. She spun around and continued slashing her way through the monsters.

            Everything seemed to be going smoothly until Reyna didn’t hold her breath.

            Coach Hedge was wrestling with a gryphon, and another gryphon was flying towards his back. Reyna was slicing through a venti at that time, and she gasped when she saw the satyr in trouble.

            “Hedge, look out behind you!” Reyna yelled as her sword slashed through the venti.

            The air suddenly was sucked from Reyna’s lungs. Her lungs felt like they were popping like a balloon, all the air escaping from her lips. Her chest ached, her ears popping painfully. Her head began to throb, and her vision went black.

            Though she couldn’t see, she could feel something smash into her chest. Her body sprawled backwards, and she slammed into something hard. Something else smashed into her side, and once more she was airborne.

            Through the ringing in her ears, she heard Hedge yell, “Reyna!”

            Reyna’s vision returned, just in time to see a gryphon slam into her chest. She flipped through the air, and her sword fell from her hands. She slammed into the ground, and her legs swung over open air.

            Oh. Reyna clawed at the ground as she legs slipped over the edge of the cliff. Her torso was pressed tightly against the edge. She was slipping, and she didn’t have a strong enough grip to pull herself up. If she were to fall, she would tumble to the ocean waves below.

            Gryphons and venti seemed to go in slow motion as they flew towards her. Reyna dug her fingernails into the ground. Mud was digging into her fingernails, and some of the grass was pulled out of the ground and was held in her fists.

            If somebody didn’t help Reyna, she was going to die.

            Her feet tried to find a ledge on the cliff face, but the rocks were slippery. Her sneakers just slid off the rocks. She was slipping, and there was nothing she could do about it.

            Coach Hedge was yelling her name, and he was trying to fight past the swarm of gryphons. He was too far away to help.

            I’ve failed, Reyna thought, and tried holding back a sob.

            Her fingers slipped, and Reyna lost her grip on the ground.

            Right before she could fall, someone grabbed her hand and yanked her back onto the ground.

            She gasped, and Nico shot her a dark smile.

            “You’re welcome,” Nico said. “I woke up from a peaceful nap to save your life.”

            “Yeah, thanks,” Reyna muttered. She stood up, grabbing her sword, ignoring the stinging in her skinned knees. Her jeans were ripped at the knees from falling.

            Nico’s face was still pale, but he was grinning. It would have looked like an excited grin, except there was so much darkness swirling in his obsidian eyes. It almost gave him a deranged look, and Reyna held back the urge to run away screaming.

            They locked eyes, and Reyna was extremely thankful that she was alive. Even though she didn’t trust Nico very much, especially since he was a Greek sneaking around in Camp Jupiter, she appreciated the fact he saved her life. If he hadn’t woken up, she would have fallen off the cliff. She would have failed the seven, and failed the world.

            “Cupcakes, I need help!” Coach Hedge scowled in their direction, continuing to swing his baseball around, smashing into gryphons.

            “Come on,” Nico said. “Let’s kill these guys off and try to get a rest before we shadow travel again.”

            Reyna gripped her sword and charged the monster army again.

A/N: and this is the rotation for this story!

yes, this story has a POV rotation of nine characters. it's a really big rotation, yeah, because I couldn't decide if I wanted Nico or Reyna. I've never really experienced with them before, so I decided- why not? therefore, the rotation of nine was born.

dedicated to ScarletKatniss c:

happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans ^.^

so, because of the rotation, the next chapter will be a Percy chapter!

- Megan <3