Chapter 18

Keil watched as Sylvia tossed and turned restlessly in her sleep. Her face was still red from crying, a sight that made his heart ache with guilt. He had known when taking her that she might upset, confused, and possibly angry upon waking. Yet to actually watch as his bride's face crumpled with hopeless sorrow and fear before him? He had not been expecting the pain such a sight could impose...

He let out a frustrated sigh, thinking back on their evening together. Putting the ring on her finger might have been a bit too unsettling, since she could not yet understand him. In his culture it was not an uncommon gesture, but he had to remember that Sylvia was not the same as the women back home. All he wanted was to show her that there was nothing to fear from him, that is why he had made his intentions of marriage quite clear. She was going to be his wife, so she need not fear any harm. After returning home she would be crowned princess and shown a new life full of luxury and ease. A life without the sufferings she already knew.

Until then though he had to be more careful, lest he wish to anger her for good. Even kissing her so boldly might have been a bad idea. At the time he simply had not been able to help himself, but now he saw that it had only frightened Sylvia in the end. Keil only wanted to make her happy, to make her stop crying so she could feel safe in his arms! And yet, it was clear that she felt the exact opposite of that around him. Even back in the burrow she was ever wary around him, flinching at every touch of his. Well, he had only gone and made that worse it seems...

Keil just had to make Sylvia understand. He would never hurt her, never be cruel to her, never cause her pain. She didn't need to be afraid. She had done everything in her power to save his life, to tend to his wounds and feed him, to protect and care for him when he was hurt. So how could he do any less for her, his new bride? Even now, despite her anger, Sylvia still cared about him. He knew she did, even after everything they had been through. Keil also knew that he would do anything for her, anything at all! Even if she didn't understand things right now, eventually she would. When she realized how much he cared for her, and what a good life he could give her, then she would understand. Then she would forgive him and everything would be okay again!

Keil sighed. Until then he supposed he would just have to show her how strongly he felt, and how happy he could make her. She would smile and laugh and be full of joy! She would be his precious princess and he would keep her safe in his father's castle. Never again would she feel the strikes against her back or a bruise against her skin. No, not on his life! He was going to make sure that nothing like that ever happened to her again. He didn't care what it took or how long he had to wait.

Just then, Sylvia turned in her restless sleep again, losing her blanket covering and exposing the back of her dress. He noticed her attempt at fixing the tears in its fabric, though it was some pretty sloppy patchwork. In fact, it was sure not to last long at all in that condition. Though the garment had nearly been in shambles even before his knife had found it.

Keil sighed. This wouldn't do. If her dress fell apart because there might never be any hope for forgiveness. He had to find someplace to replace those pathetic rags she was wearing! Perhaps he knew just the place to look too...

******

Keil risked another peek from behind the tree he was hiding behind. After following Sylvia's footprints he had come across a village that was most likely her home. He surveyed the small town cautiously from his perch, both anxious and curious to see what kind of place she had come from. To see what kind of place had hurt her.

He noticed about twenty small houses grouped together tightly in the area, with one large farm property off in the distance. The buildings were run down and dirty, as were the few people he saw walking about despite the late hour. Overall, it looked like a depressing and pathetic place. He scoffed quietly. To think Sylvia would rather return here than to come along with him! It was absolutely ridiculous.