Magic Spawn: Chapter 41

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

Harlan and Grandma Baggins got on the radio and summoned the rest of the Gondorian Warrior Circle to meet at the graveyard and make a plan to attack the Old Mill and take it back from Molan.

Rian was not looking forward to seeing Zane, still feeling angry at him for turning Rian in to the cops. Having Aldena with him was comforting.

As Rian expected, Zane approached him as soon as he arrived. "So, you're still evading the law, I see," said Zane. "How's it feel to be an outlaw?"

"Planning to betray me again?" asked Rian.

"I've got better things to do than waste my time worrying about you right now," spat Zane.

Rian stared at Zane. "I didn't kill Westin. He's still out there."

"But not for long, if you get your way?" said Zane.

"He's not Westin anymore," said Aldena coldly. "He's a killer, controlled by Molan. He has to die."

Everyone looked at her somberly.

"Or would you prefer your town fall to zombies and skeletons?" she said.

"So, why should we risk our lives to save this girl ... what's her name?" said Zane.

"Ehina. She's from Arlunn," said Rian. "She can summon the Guardians of the Continuum to help. Otherwise, we'll never defeat Molan."

"Arlunn? From the Seven Worlds of Cathal? One of your mom's stories?" laughed Zane. "I don't believe it."

"Really, of all the things that are happening, that's what you find unbelievable?" asked Rian to Zane.

Zane shrugged.

"We're going to attack the Old Mill and rescue the people Molan has trapped there. We need your help," said Rian.

"Um, I'm the Steward," said Edward, stepping in front of Zane, just a little. "And all of the Gondorian Warrior Circle are going to follow me."

Rian rolled his eyes a little.

Edward pulled himself up a little and stared at the group that had assembled.

"My friends, this is a desperate hour," said Edward with his serious face. "Let this be the day when we draw swords together." For emphasis, he drew his sword. "Fell deeds awake!"

"Edward, this isn't Lord of the Rings and you aren't Theoden," said Zane, cutting short Edward's speech.

Edward scowled. "Ah, come on. Look at this! We're fighting the undead from another universe. And—" he stood a little taller. "I am Theoden!" Meaning his persona in the group.

Zane and Rian exchanged glances.

"As I was saying." Edward cleared his throat a little and paused dramatically, looking each of them in the eye. "Now for wrath; now for ruin—And a red dawn!"

"So, I take it you're in?" asked Rian.

"Absolutely," grinned Edward.

Just then Bernard showed up with an armload of baseball bats. "Good, I made it in time."

"What are those?" asked Ray.

"Something I had an idea for," said Bernard. He handed the load of bats to Harlan who stood next to him. Lifting one of the bats, he showed off the fact that small electrical wires ran up the sides of the bat, stemming from a rather large battery pack on the bottom. He flipped a switch and the wires lit up.

"See?" he said.

"Um, not really," said Ray.

"Well, it's like a taser bat. Everyone knows that blunt damage does more than a sword does on skeletons. Well, now it's an electra-bat and packs all the voltage of a taser. Maybe this'll slow them down."

The others moved forward to take a bat and try it out. "Cool!" said Edward.

Harlan looked annoyed. "Electric damage isn't going to do much against skeletons."

"Like you know," said Edward, making a face.

"It won't!" insisted Harlan.

"Maybe against zombies, though," said Bernard. "You don't know."

"I just don't think it'll work," said Harlan, grumpy.

"Yeah, but they look cool," said Edward. "Especially in the dark. I'm going to go try mine out." He moved aside, lit it up and began waving it around. "Look at it!"

"Me too," said Ray, lighting his up and running over to mock fight with Edward.

__________________________________

Thanks for reading!

Come listen to my radio interview from October 2015!

THE SPECULATIVE FICTION CANTINA:

LINK: 

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/writestream/2015/10/30/the-speculative-fiction-cantina-with-meredith-skye-and-t-eric-bakutis