Fifty: Breaking News

Sydney

I waved goodbye to Megan and Em as they pulled out of the driveway and started back towards the main road.

There was a creak of a floorboard behind me; my senses seemed almost to be collecting information about the sound: if it was a person or the aging of the home settling, if it was a person who it could be by their weight and what they smell like.

But the way my wolf cried I knew immediately who it was.

"Happy that they know now?" Jay inquired.

I closed the door and leaned against it. "Yes, I am. I just wish they had just found out under better circumstances if they had to still find out that is."

He nodded and silence followed.

"We need to talk Syd," Jay stated.

My pulse skyrocketed.

Oh no, he's going to kick us out of his pack. We broke the rules, even if not intentionally.

No, he's not. He's our mate. His wolf won't let him.

"Come with me Star, I want to show you something."

I looked at him hesitantly as he held out a hand.

"Come on Star, I don't bite," He persuaded with a coy smirk.

Memories of our tangled bodies flooded my mind and eased my tense form.

I walked to him and laced my fingers through his thinking this could possibly be the last time I get to hold large and soft his hand.

Jay silently guided me out the back door and proceeded to lead me across his grassy backyard to a path through the forest that I had yet to realize was there.

Leafs of the new season had started to fall on the path in bright oranges, vibrant scarlets, and lively yellows. The only sounds were our shoes crutching across the leaves, our breaths, and the occasional small movements of animals in the forest.

If this was any other situation with just a normal boy, I'd have my camera to my eye, my notebook and alternative lens strapped to my back taking in the changing scenery.

That or I'd be convinced the guy was plotting to murder me.

The thought tumbled into nervous knots in my belly. I mentally argued that my mom and brother knew where I was, but equally, I realized they could write off my disappearance as an incident with Logan, which had already happened before.

Jay's thumb brushed against the delicate skin of the inside my wrist softly as we walked down a slope. I was positive he could feel the racing pulse of my blood.

We walked for about ten or so minutes before we came to a small opening.

"Here we are," He whispered so quietly I wasn't sure he really said it.

There was a patch of soft green grass and clovers. A stream about five feet wide rippled over the shinny rocks like silk. Off in the distance, I could hear the rush of water indicating a nearby waterfall. The trees towered over us but left a thin opening directly over the stream allowing some sunlight that peaked out from behind the clouds to shine down on the stream making the water sparkle.

"This is magnificent," I was captivated.

"It is." He sounded just as awed as me. "Come sit with me Star,"

My eyes swept the area for escape routes just in case.

Calm yourself. He is out mate, we are mated. If we die, he dies.