fifty-six

[three weeks later]

CHRIS held Bronson in his arms as they walked to the room where Valerie laid in a coma, she had been that way ever since the accident happened. Most of her doctors said they didn't think she was going to wake up. Chris didn't want to pull Valerie's plug, but it had almost been a month since she went into the coma, and Chris knew she wouldn't want to be fighting between death and life for this long. She'd want Chris to grow up and pull the plug. His heart physically hurt as he walked to the hospital room.

One thing that kept racing through his mind was the fact that if he pulled this plug on Valerie, Bronson would grow up without a mom. And he didn't want that. But Chris had to do what he thought was best...

He stepped into the diamond shop, with hopes as high as the moon. Chris shouldn't have left his hopes get so high, but he did. Valerie was going to love this surprise.
"Hello, sir, how may I help you?" The employee asked from behind the counter.
"I'm here to look at engagement rings for my girlfriend." The guy nodded.
"If you'll follow me, I can show you our collection."

An hour later, Chris had the perfect ring that was the perfect size for the love of his life. He couldn't wait to get on one knee and ask her to spend the rest of their lives together.
New, iMessage, Robert Downey Jr: Are you watching the news?
Chris looked up at the tv as the employee was bagging the ring. The screen showed Valerie's picture, a wreck, and Tiffany Scott being arrested. Chris's chest felt heavy and in his mind he began to panic.
"Can someone turn on the sound please?!" He yelled and pointed to the tv screen. The manager reached over and grabbed the remote. He turned the sound on and turned it up.
"...An act of murder towards Valerie Harris. She is still alive and breathing but in critical condition. Paramedics are taking her to the nearby hospital for emergency procedures. Tiffany Scott was arrested with all evidence of the attempted murder. Police are still investigating the case."
The employee handed Chris his bag when Chris was able to tear his eyes away from the screen. He took the bag and his card back, before sprinting out the door.

"Call Elizabeth." Chris told Siri through his car radio.
"Calling Elizabeth..."
"Hello?"
"Lizzie, meet me at Johnson Memorial Hospital in thirty minutes."
"What's going on?"
"Don't ask, just bring Bronson and meet me there."

-------

CHRIS felt around in his pocket. He pulled out the black velvet box that held the engagement ring and a thin chain. Chris didn't plan on returning the ring to the store when he pulled the plug on Valerie, the ring was a symbol of him giving her his heart for forever. He adjusted the sleeping Bronson on his arm and continue towards the hospital room. He feet dragged the entire way there, slowing him down. Chris had never felt this way about anyone or anything, he hated it.
Chris rounded the corner and walk about to step into Valerie's room. His hand was reaching out for the doorknob when a day dream passed before his eyes.

"Dinner boys!" Valerie yelled through the screen door out to the back to where Chris was teaching Bronson to play football. And only at age four, Bronson already loved the game.
Valerie had set the bowls of beef stew out along with two cups of water and a cup of milk for Bronson. She walked away from the screen door and to the counter where her favorite fall candle was sitting. She heard the screen door slide open as she lit the candle.
"Mommy!" Bronson exclaimed. He ran up to her and wrapped his arms around her upper thigh. "Daddy taught me how to throw a spiral!"
"Aw, baby, your going to have to show me!" Bronson let go of her leg and started to inch closer to the table. Valerie laughed and grabbed Bronson, picking him up and spinning him around towards the sink. "You forgot to wash up, baby." She tickled Bronson and carried him to the sink. He rinsed his hands off and Valerie put him down. Bronson ran over to the table and sat in his booster seat. Chris wrapped his arm around Valerie's waist.
"We did good."

Chris blinked twice, shook his head to clear himself of that thought before pushing the door open to find the best surprise of all.
Valerie sat up in the hospital bed.
Tears weld up in Chris's eyes and his breath hitched in his throat. Chris couldn't believe his eyes. She was alive, it was miracle.
Chris sat at the edge of the bed. He didn't know what to say to Valerie, he was in so much shock.
He reached out and handed her the sleeping Bronson, when Bronson hit Valerie's arms, he snuggled into the familiarity. Chris smiled, his eyes ran over Valerie and Bronson and he wondered how he got so lucky.
Which reminded him of the ring. Chris reached down into his pocket and pulled out the black velvet box. He stepped off the bed and started to kneel on one knee next to the bed.
Valerie's eyes got wide when the realization of the what he was about to do hit.
"Valerie Elizabeth Harris, I've been in love with you since the moment I met you. You are the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, so will you do me the honor and spend the rest of eternity as my wife?"
"Yes. Absolutely, yes!" Valerie cried. Her hands shook as Chris stood up and took the ring out of the box. He slid the ring on her ring finger then stood back to admire it.
Chris placed his lips on Valerie's and when he pulled back, he kept his arms wrapped around Valerie and Bronson.
They were finally going to be their own family.

note
the next chapter is going to be the last chapter.......  😳